What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fastback 4

wyoflyer

Another fast back RV4 ready for the paint shop. Now if I can just decide what color....the hardest part of any project!
55013hjj

Very nice! I wish I got the dark canopy. At the time Todd was having problems with his dark glass so I got the clear one.

Paint color

The best color to compliment your build is RED! Some white and black checkerboard, judiciously laid out, would finish it off. I suggest Imron fire red.

The plane was bought off e-bay 2 yrs ago from a gentleman who bought the kit in 1988. Hadn't even opened the boxes. Luckily, there was very little corrosion or rust. The fastback bulkheads were purchased from Harmon, and the canopy from Todd's.
Yes, I thought of red, or candy red, or maybe tangerine pearl, with checkerboards! or I kind of like green metalic or.....?

I don't think it's possible to screw it up with those lines. ;-) That thing will be beautiful no matter what paint is on it...

DM

I have seen a pic of a green metallic fastback -4, think it's in California and it looks GREAT. Wish I could remember how or where I found it.....You might be able to find it with some searching.

P.S. I like Red too.

Glenn Wilkinson

Let the lines do the talking.

With the clean, classic lines of a fastback -4, I would go with a simpler, classic sort of paint scheme. One that compliments rather than distracts from the lines. To me, -4's (fastback or stock) somehow just look like an airplane is supposed to look:cool:
BTW, I get over to Sheridan fairly often and would love to see your -4 some time. As a matter of fact, I'll be there in the morning for an hr or two and again on Sunday afternoon.

Mean Green

That green and white "4" is Tim Barne's. His plane is at Bakersfield, CA. His hangar is either next to or near John Harmon's hangar...
His plane was my inspiration as well. I spoke to him and John on a regular basis. Tim sent me several pictures or details that were very helpful especially around the canopy frame.

I finally got all my parts together to start doing the fastback mod. I have read every post regarding how it's done, but I still have a few questions before I start cutting the formers and the canopy. First, I know to set a block (2x4) on top of the roll bar and run a string to the rear former to set the angle. The problem is that the skin will dictate my maximum height and angle and not HRF 407.
Second is I've only seen pictures of a Todd's Canopy after it was cut. When I set mine on the plane the back goes almost to HRF 408, so at this time I can't tell if the canopy is going to match the turtle deck angle.

Back