What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Piston cooling jet

Snap-roll

Hi has anyone put in the oil jets insted of the std. plugs while doing the oh?
I?m overhauling my O360 A4M to 0 h at the moment and noticed that I got plugs instead of oil nozzles.
Is there any reason not to change to oil nozzles?

/Johan

I installed jets in my little 260 HP 540. I run in very high ambient temps, plan to run auto fuel, and I'm seeking a comprehensive, low drag cooling system. I think that the piston jets are not "required" for my engine, but do contribute a bit of efficiency and detonation margin for very little cost.

There have been reports from folks using the piston cooling jets that the oil cooler may need to be upgraded.

Stands to reason, you are extracting additional heat from the piston, and transferring it to the oil. Gotta get it out of the oil now.

Ok, I got FlyEFII 32 ordered and I guess that I won?t waste as much fuel cooling the engine as with the original carb set up so I figured that the engine might run a bit hotter, a slightly larger oilcooler seems like a good idea
/ Johan

I have the oil squirters on my IO-360-A4A, it came with them but were not required. My oil temperatures are always at or above 200 degrees, even higher in a long climb. I can control the temps with a climb airspeed of 120 kts or so. I have the 13 row oil cooler mounted on the lower left firewall with a 4" scat tube from above the #4 cylinder. Cylinder head temps run in the 360-370 degree range in cruise. I have dual P-Mags (jumper installed) so that may be some of the cause with the increased timing curve. Dan from Reno

Oil jets

I?ve done a 200 with the cooling jets and those engines use pistons with internal cooling fins in them . This does remove heat and transfer it into the oil so the oil will get hotter and that heat should be removed . Some have added a second cooler in series instead of a bigger single cooler.

Thanks for the input guys! I also got the Raven inverted oilsystem so space is an
issue too, has anyone put two oilcoolers directly after eachother in the aieflow like the configuration of watercooler & intercooler in the automotive world ?
/Johan

All of them.

We put together an IO-360 that is hand balanced and flow tuned. With 9:1 pistons it puts out right at 195 Bhp., witch means we also would see a little more heat from the bit more than standard BMEP. So we installed all 8 of the oil jets, both for the pistons and the cam. I crunched the numbers and came up with a % of increase from the standard 180 Hp. that that engine is configured in most installations. We were able to put a 9 row oil cooler in the same place as the stock Van's 7 row cooler for that installation. This has worked very well after the this power plant has broken in and settled down.
For us we like to have that extra cooling and lube paired with the higher pressure load, because we like to go Hi on CX trips and have that little bit more power to get off the ground at full gross weight. If you compensate for the extra heat with a good oil cooler or watch you climbs in real hot weather you should be fine and the extra cooling and lube is worth the effort to put in the nozzles. Just our take on this one. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

Back