What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tampa Exec

Kupde

Patron
Planning to move my RV-10 to Tampa Exec for final assembly and Phase 1 testing. Anyone know of any issues with Tampa Exec for Phase 1? Anyone have suggestions for an area to request for Phase 1.

Phase 1

Look for a local DAR, perhaps the individual who will eventually sign you off. He has done this before and will have the answer.

Good morning,

My project is at Tampa exec. There are several Rv's on the field, my hangar neighbor just did his phase 1 here and I did not hear of any problems. PM me your hangar when you get moved in, I would love to stop by and welcome you.

Also, I do not know of a local DAR, the FSDO is not very user friendly, people on the field I know of have used DAR's who had to come in from out of the area, good luck.

Matt

Phase one test area

Non Certified engine you'll get a 25 mile radius for at least part of your Phase One time. I got 50 a mile radius after twenty hours.

That said, if you head due north, just south of KBKV there are many wide open fields for your initial testing and within the 25mi. East is nothing but woods and subdivisions all the way to KZPH and east of there is more trees and swamp. Kinda ugly for alternate, unplanned landing sites.
South is densly populated Tampa, west is more Tampa, the heavy population of Pinellas County and the Gulf.

Not many choices for the first couple of hours, the open fields south of BKV were my choice.

DAR's are tough to find in our area. FSDO should be able to provide names. You may have to pay travel expenses. I know that Vic Syracuse has come from Atlanta area to our area in the past.

PM if you ever want to chat or visit us at ZPH.

Planning to move my RV-10 to Tampa Exec for final assembly and Phase 1 testing. Anyone know of any issues with Tampa Exec for Phase 1? Anyone have suggestions for an area to request for Phase 1.

I am based at ZPH, which is where I did my Phase 1, and it was a good spot for it. Two long runways and lots of open space nearby. Only a few minutes flying time from Tampa Exec and would still be well within your testing area. Much cheaper fuel than VDF, as well. Watch out for skydivers.

Regarding DAR's, I was fortunate to be able to time my inspection with SNF, and Vic Syracuse was able to do it while he was down here for the week. If he hadn't been, I would have paid him to come down anyways.

Chris

Zephyrhills hangar

Kevin, We have a hangar at KZPH that we would like to sub rent starting after Sun-n-fun and we won't need it until first part of Dec. 815-291-8864. Thanks Ron

Thanks for the offer Ron. I?m planning on Tampa Exec due to proximity to home and work but again much appreciate the offer.

I'm working on my RV-10 and will be moving it there in a few years. Would love to stop by and see yours.

Bishop,

Welcome to come to Tampa Exec in 2 weeks or my home in Brandon until then if you like

I know the regs require you to identify to the tower that you are experimental, but how would they know what phase of testing you are in unless you tell them?

There isn't even a tower, so unless something triggered an investigation you'd probably get away with it. Then there'd be the issue of whether insurance would cover you.

But much more importantly, and possibly part of the reason they discourage or prohibit it is because, IMO, CLW is a terrible place to do flight testing. Single runway, in the middle of the most densely populated county in Florida. Industrial and residential areas at both ends. Also underneath a 3000' Class B shelf and the only way to get higher would be to go offshore over the gulf. You can't go even go a few miles east due to the class B and KPIE's class D.

There are a number of airports just a bit farther out that offer areas much more conducive to Phase 1 testing, so even if I had a choice, I wouldn't choose to do it at CLW - and I live a few blocks away from there.

Chris

Well it's official, my RV-10 now has a new home at KVDF -- Hangar 4601. I'll be moving her down around the 1st of June and look forward to meeting all my new neighbors!

Back