What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 additional baggage compartment right behind firewall?

Jumbo

Well Known Member
Hi all,

as we are removing the vaccum filter, vaccum lines and the vaccum gyros there will space behind the firewall and the front of the instruments.

With the O-320, Sensenich prop and the vaccum pump & stuff still sitting in the plane (former N921MS) is 950 lbs empty with the empty CG at 69.71 so I could make good use of the space for 1 quart of oil and stuff (toos, tie downs etc.) to bring the CG more forward (I am 210 lbs) when carring something/someone behind the roll bar.

Has anyone thought of fabricating a baggage compartment with a hatch to be acessed from the outside in that area?

Regards, Heinz
........ sometimes a picture says more than 1000 words (all vaccum stuff like filter and lines will go out):

95sfva.jpg

Last edited:
Jumbo, here are some links to what I did. Forward storage, but also under the RH step. I then added this pocket.

My idea was to use the forward area for heavy stuff to adjust the CofG, the step for small items in flight, camera / sunglass etc., and the pocket for maps.

It all has worked out well.

PS, I only just took on board 'from the outside'! Sorry, no!

cool stuff and very well thought off

Steve,

cool I must say. After having looked up some stuff on your website already I should have known that this is good source for ideas. For now however I would like to put a light bag of the size 16 in x 11 in x 9 in in there like such a thing (up to 25 lb - filled, however at 3g that is 75 lb):
fe47f4.jpg

Let?s see if I can figure that out.

So if anyone has done this I?d be happy for some hints re what hinges and what kind of hatch as well re the support bar(s) needed.

Heinz
P.S. The RV-4 is exactly right for me - I just need to make the best out of few things re loading some little stuff in there every now and than (and Smoky is right re loads aft the roll bar and I am lucky: my misses is just 62 in at 110 with clothes :D)

Heinz, unless you fill it with tools I doubt you will get 25lbs of normal stuff into that bag or the compartment. I usually over estimate the weight of stuff. Having said that I have to admit I have no calculation to prove the floor or lid are strong enough for any particular weight. The floor is probably stronger than the rear baggage area.

Key I think is to fill any remaining space with foam rubber if you use it.

Let me know what you decide. I will be interested.

More Storage Space

Since the area in the forward center console had fuel lines/valve and such and I had nothing on top of it, I chose to make a removable storage box. Removable so as to be able to remove the top of the center console top.
It is easy to reach and open in flight. I also lined it with felt to keep things from rattling and sliding.

picture775.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

picture776.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Good Luck!

Bill

very nice - however I don?t have space inside

Bill, Steven,

cool stuff. However I don?t have the space under panel (COM, X-ponder and 7" tablet PC with PocketFMS sitting there). I?ll look at the way the forward baggage compartment on a RV-8 is done and maybe learn something from that.

Cheers, Heinz

Baggage

With just an Enigma and MGL radio in the planned panel, I too am planning a baggage compartment ala the 8. No thought given yet to hinges, latches nor the compartment bottom and bulkhead to separate the compartmenrt from the instrument panel. IMHO it is doable and the moment on even just 10 lbs forward versus aft would certainly help the cg. The fuselage top skin between the instrument panel and baggage bulkhead would be riveted rather than using nut plates, perhaps a weight trade off to a minor extent. I need to look at an 8 setup.

Heinz,

Have you seen this on Van's site?
http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin...777030-402-78&browse=airframe&product=bag-kit

Obviously won't work if you already have stuff in a center console.

I agree that the space between the firewall & instruments is wasted, & I've thought about adding storage in my -4. I'd want to have a structures guy give me a sanity check on cutting that top skin 1st, though. I don't have any idea whether it's carrying any significant load.

I have found one way to use some of the space. When I go to flyins (SNF, OSH, etc) my tent stands up in that space. Dome tents typically roll up into a 'sausage' about 10" diameter by 25-30" long. Mine (with an airbed in the same bundle) can be maneuvered past the stick, then angled up to stand between my calves, up into that space. That's about 15 lbs ahead of the cg.

I'm building a -7, & wishing I could use the same area, but the -7 has just enough structure there that the space doesn't appear to be useful.

FWIW,

Charlie

Charlie, I ordered the kit you mentioned from VANS and installed it as I was building, but after much head scratching it got ditched. I found it very flimsy and it was certainly not something I wanted to go flying with. It might work for others, just not me!.

Mo is better...

Charlie/Heinz,

After the first five years of camping out of my RV-4 "The Bandit" I found I needed more room for "stuff". I also wanted to reduce it's weight so...I removed the battery, moved it to the firewall, replaced it with an Odessey PC680 and converted the old battery box to a forward baggage area. I hinged the forward portion of the access cover and insulated it with stick on insulation from the Home Depot aviation department. This not only shifted the CG forward, it gave me storage for goodies forward of the CG. With the addition of my Safe Air One ER fuel tanks we built hinged access panels forward of the main spar for the fuel valves which also became great storage forward of the CG.
Now I could safely add baggage aft of the rear baggage inspection door, just like an HR2 I saw at a fly in. I hinged the lower baggage door and put a turn-lock at the top. I then crawled as far back as I could, drilled small holes in the fuselage longerons and stretched nylon mesh across the aft fuselage forming a hammock where I could stash light stuff like sleeping bags.
Voila' I had the same fuel capacity and storage or even more than an RV8 and over half of it forward of the CG in a lighter weight, stronger and better flying airplane. Photos are attached, enjoy!

Smokey
HR2

Forward baggage!

Rear Baggage!

PS: My Rocket actually has the rear baggage floored back three bulkheads which is great but I have alot more weight forward of the CG, namely an IO-540!

Last edited:
.... my lower panel with a Samsung Q1 tablet is in the way ...

Smokey, Charlie,

thanks for pointing me into that direction (Charlie) and for showing the pic (Smokey) however my lower panel with a Samsung Q1 tablet with Pocket FMS (www.pocketfms.com) is in the way of that approaches.

I only can do this if we really would re-do the entire panel (uups, maybe in fall) or I?ll find a way for space ? la RV-8.

Thanks for keeping me tuned and I will come back if and when I have something that works and that I trust (there is not a lot of a beafed structure between instuments and back of firewall).

Heinz

Charlie/Heinz,

With the addition of my Safe Air One ER fuel tanks we built hinged access panels forward of the main spar for the fuel valves which also became great storage forward of the CG.

Smokey
HR2

I]

Smokey,

Can you elaborate on these? Or post pictures?

Thanks,
Andrew.

Access Air...

G'Day Andy,

The floor panels forward of the spar are normally attached with screws. You remove them, cut a 2 inch slice off the fuselage edge on both and install a hinge. On the inside I placed a "hole" latch. Reinstall the panel, now hinged to expose the new storage when opened, floor panel when closed. Very handy!

Smokey
HR2
http://www.safeair1.com/HWA_Design.htm
Page from Hotel Whiskey Aviation's website, scroll down to photo of access door open exposing valve.

Last edited:
Back