What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Wing compared to other RVs

PlaneBuilderBill

Well Known Member
Hey guys, will the wing shape guide (plywood from the shipping crate) from the "6" and "4" work for the "8" wing as well?

Thanks in advance.....Bill

Yes

I'm pretty sure it will. The airfoil is the same for sure, and I'm fairly sure that the chord length is the same.

With the original RV-8 wing, before they prepunched the ribs, pretty much all the ribs had RV-4 part numbers, IIRC.

The RV-4, -6, -7 and -8 should all have the same airfoil. The only differences are going to the be the normal aircraft to aircraft variations.

rv8 wing

I called vans to ask for the paper drawing of the airfoil so I could check my alerion/flap rigging. The plywood airfoil I made out of the packing crate is long gone.

Vans told me they don't use that method anymore. they said to use the tooling holes in the outboard wing rib and the tooling holes in the outboard alerion.(use a tight string) they need to be parallel with each other, if the alerion is a little high or low as long as the alerion holes are offset the same amount, the alerions will be in correct trail. flaps get ajusted to alerions.

Back