What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RIP Steve Raddatz..

Tram

Well Known Member
I'm sure many of you guys knew Steve.. He was killed in a crash this afternoon around 1:00PM..

Just thought some of you guys who may know Steve and Gina, might have wanted to know.

RIP Steve..

That's terrible. I just saw him and spoke with him at SNF. Any insight as to what happened?

Vic

From what little information I have, he and BJ were flying formation and got too close.. BJ was able to put the CJ down short of the runway @ DCU.. Steve was unable to do the same.. :(

Sincere Sympathies to Steve's family

I had met Steve a few times and he was always so full of energy. Here's the latest news article I could find; it's from the Florence, AL newspaper. There may be some inaccuracies, but it seems the Yak and Steve's RV-8 collided. One report said the RV-8 wing separated from the airplane. I saw the crash site and I only saw one wing, but to be honest, there was a lot of wreckage strewn across the crash site.

It's a sad day. God bless his family.

Sincerely,

wow...this is sad news. i met steve during the early days of testing whirlwind props. always willing to help the cause. he will be missed.

DR: perhaps this has been discussed in the past ... any thoughts on putting up a "picture wall" to honor our departed friends? we've lost quite a few over the years. not to be morbid .. rather a celebration and rememberance of friends in our extended family. just a thought.....

Last edited:
I had met Steve a few times and he was always so full of energy. Here's the latest news article I could find; it's from the Florence, AL newspaper. There may be some inaccuracies, but it seems the Yak and Steve's RV-8 collided. One report said the RV-8 wing separated from the airplane. I saw the crash site and I only saw one wing, but to be honest, there was a lot of wreckage strewn across the crash site.

I think most of it is as accurate as it can be right now.. Little stuff - BJ flew a Nanchang, not a Yak..

RIP Steve

I spent last week with Steve in Tuscumbia. We flew together Friday afternoon. He was a superb craftsman, pilot, and person. This is a tragic loss. Steve was larger than life, full of good will and joy. We will all miss him greatly. I feel lucky to have known him.

Tragedy to the aviation community.

I just learned of this the day after, he was the Vice President of our EAA chapter here in Muscle Shoals. (EAA 615). I know he will be missed, and I already miss him.

A true go-getter Steve was. A good friend was he to the EAA/RV/general aviation community, R/C hobby community, anyone he met for that matter. I always have admired and looked up to him personally and as a fellow RV enthusiast. I recall conversations we had in person and over the phone about flying and RV's in general, and my opinion, we both are RV nuts and our favorite is the RV-8.

I always enjoyed going to EAA meetings/fly-ins at his hangar. His hangar @ Windward Point was truly a place of inspiration and awe for me, as I would get a chance to see all the RV kits he was building or advising on. You couldnt help but want to go home and start pounding out the rivets after seeing Steve's work and being around him.

Steve attracted positive energy and being around him always left a positive influence. I had the pleasure of watching Steve fly RV-4's/-8's, and R/C planes. I flew loose formation with him one time when I was in a C-172 and him in an RV-4 back in 2007. I rode in an RV-8 that he did build assist on in Decatur, and it truly was a wonderful bird to fly in, and it rolled beautifully, was very fast, light on the controls. My only regret is that we were not closer friends, and that I never got the chance to ride with him.

I sold my RV-8 tail kit in 2008, due to the economy, not knowing my King Air Captain job was soon to follow in Feb 2009 when the company filed chapter 11. I told Steve and others that I regret selling it but vowed to get one again when my situation allows for a build. After this tragedy, I vow to dedicate my completed RV-8 in memory of Steve by placing an appropriate inscription in the cockpit. I plan on incorporating several of the ideas and mods Steve and I talked about.

I'll always think of Steve as just a "big kid" at heart, a good family man, who shared the love of aviation as I do. RIP Steve.

a message about Steve Raddatz

I had only met Steve once last Feb, when we discussed his participation in the Tennessee Valley Air Race/Air Show. He seemed like an interesting and nice fellow.

We have decided to pay tribute to Steve during the airshow portion of the event at Courtland on June 13th (9A4). The remaining members of the Red Thunder Team( one was invloved in the accident) plan to salute Steve at the show.

Chris Murphy Air Race Director and event co-organizer

Funeral Arrangements For Steve Raddatz

I would personally like to thank the home building community for reaching out and caring the way that you have with the tragic loss of Steve.

Steve will truly be missed by all of us. Thank you all for your calls, emails and prayers and please continue to keep Steve's family in your prayers.

The funeral arrangements:

Visitation will be from 5-7 p.m. Wednesday, May 27, 2009, at Morrison Funeral Home, Tuscumbia, Alabama. A service of remembrance will immediately follow at 7 p.m. in the funeral home chapel.

The address to the funeral home:

Morrison Funeral Home
825 N Main Street
Tuscumbia, AL 35674
Phone: (256) 383-7311
[email protected]

Funeral Home Website
http://www.morrisonfuneralhomes.com/FuneralHome/Default.asp

Obituary in local News Paper
http://www.legacy.com/TimesDaily/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=127698141

A second funeral will be held in Steve's home town of Oshkosh, WI later this week, but I do not have the details for it yet.

Steve?

Was this the same Steve who had a nice big hanger on a grass strip over near Shoals airport? I attended a fly-in there about a year ago as I wanted to look at RV-10s before purchasing the kit. He had several partly finished RVs that he was working on. I believe the fly-in was a local EAA chapter. Same guy?

big loss for experimental community

I could fill a few pages with compliments to Steve but I will try to keep it short.
He is the reason i ordered an RV8 kit. His work, ideas and improvements just kept coming. He loved aviation.
He was a youthfull, energetic breath of fresh air to aviation and had an open door to everybody. That is what i really liked about him. He did not mind stopping what he was doing to listen to my question or problem and give me a good simple answer.
I am still in shock about this but miss him much already.
Jeff Harrell
austin tx

Was this the same Steve who had a nice big hanger on a grass strip over near Shoals airport? I attended a fly-in there about a year ago as I wanted to look at RV-10s before purchasing the kit. He had several partly finished RVs that he was working on. I believe the fly-in was a local EAA chapter. Same guy?

Yes...regretfully, it's the same guy.

Steve

Steve's write up (in the RVator) of the first flight of his first RV-8 was a delight to read. Because of a ride in Tom Stearman's RV-4 and Steve's joy in his -8, RV fascination caught me and I'm well along with my own -8. Steve's first RV-8 was bought by a friend of mine, Mickey Fouts. We flew in our Lance to Wittman Field where Mickey took me up for a trial flight in Steve's -8. That was my first meeting with Steve and his delightful wife. Mickey left for Colorado in the morning in the RV-8. It was the coldest day of the year in Wisconsin - frigid. Mrs. Raddatz was so helpful, going out to purchase chemical heat packs for Mickey to use on this flight home; he probably could not have made it without those to counter the intense cold. Both Steve and his wife were wonderfully hospitable and helpful to me in subsequent months. Steve took time to come to Milwaukee and look over my project after the first year's work. He was incredibly generous, energetic and knowledgeable about RV's. His background as a machinist really enhanced his building ability. He had a wonderful family which shared his love of flying. What a tragedy. He'll be missed by so many people. Hard to believe, but he's the second friend and flying buddy lost to a formation collision (Randy Drake co-owned a Pitts S-1S with me and lost his life flying with the Red Barons exhibition team). Please be careful flying formation! Condolences to Steve's wonderful family. Bill

Steve

Yes...regretfully, it's the same guy.

Oh man!, that really makes me ill. He was a big influence on my getting started building a RV-10. He told me to call anytime if I had a problem. That was the kind of guy he was. Steve will be greatly missed.

Safety Bulletin from The Red Star Pilot's Assoc.

SAFETY BULLETIN

Sadly over this Memorial Day weekend another tragic accident has cast a shadow over our community of dedicated aviators. At approximately 1300 CST on May 23rd 2009, two aircraft collided over Decatur Alabama resulting in the destruction of one aircraft and the tragic death of its pilot. Our hearts and prayers are with all involved.

One of the Red Star Pilots Association?s finest pilots was conducting a single ship photo pass at the airport in his CJ-6 aircraft. After clearing the area and inquiring as to the location of his friend who was airborne in an RV-8, he received a radio confirmation that the RV-8 was clear and at his six o?clock. It is reported that on the turn to downwind the pilot of the RV-8 (who was not F.A.S.T. rated) attempted and un-briefed join-up on the outside of the turn. This was done without the knowledge or consent of the CJ-6 pilot. Observers on the ground estimated that the overtake speed was approximately 80 KTS. The RV-8 struck the right wing of the CJ-6. The wing of the RV-8 separated from the aircraft. The RV-8 plummeted to the ground and disintegrated on the nearby college campus killing the pilot upon impact.

The pilot of the CJ-6 did an extraordinary job of regaining control of his aircraft and affecting a successful landing. The CJ-6 will fly again as will our brother in the RPA. The stinging sense of loss and the recognition that this was avoidable will remain with him and the rest of us. After we finish mourning for the fellow aviator that we have lost and after we comfort his family it will be time to step back and look at ourselves. One loss is too many.

You can expect an expanded emphasis upon safety and training throughout the RPA. You will see it in E-coms. You will see it in Red Alert. You will experience it in our clinics, our briefs and in every flight. What we all love to do ceases to be fun when we begin to destroy aircraft and lose good friends as a result of our actions or inaction. Complacency, inattention to detail, shortcutting good practices, lack of preparation and abandoning long established procedures have no place in a ?Culture of Excellence?.

My brother (RPA member) sent me this...

I by chance ran into Steve at the Advanced booth at Sun n Fun. I was trying to find out everything I could about the Advanced system and he asked what I was building, I replied a rocket, his reply oh Ive built one of those have you seen the flying tigers one in the homebuilt camping area? I looked him over closely and said hey I know you! He replied you look familiar to. My wife gave me that here we go again look. I said you have been to my house in colorado, his reply I dont think so. I said you delivered a yellow and red RV8 to my doorstep so I could to a condition inspection for a freind that was purchasing it. His reply, That was my baby please tell me that they are taking care of it. I assured him it was being well taken care of and that I had been doing the condition inspections on it since purchase and that the new owners loved the airplane. At that point he remembered being at the house and said to my wife now I remember, you were there on the riding lawn mower and came to the hangar on the mower. Now she was on board. We ran into him several times durring the show and talked quite a lot. When I told my wife the news she was very upset. Our thoughts and depest sympathies to Steve and his family. I didnt know him well enough to call him a freind, but I knew him well enough to know that he was a brother.
Ryan Bendure
RV4 131RB
Rocket 77RB 75%

"I didnt know him well enough to call him a freind, but I knew him well enough to know that he was a brother."

That's good. Like so many others, I knew Steve from his postings of help online and from seeing him at Oshkosh. His helpful spirit and knowledge base will be missed by many.

This news came on the heels of the news that my building buddy from years ago, Jerry Thornton, also crashed. He and his passenger, another local pilot, were killed on impact in his RV-6A. Jerry and I smashed a ton of rivets in my long project, and I have great memories of his sacrificial help and unspoken opinion that I'd never finish my plane. His funeral is this afternoon.

The suggestion made by others that we should have some sort of "memorial wall" on this site made me cringe. I dropped out of the IAC because I got really tired of reading in every issue of their magazine about members who were killed doing acro.

On the other hand, it might be a good reminder of the serious nature of our hobby -- flying is very unforgiving of inattention &/or stupidity, and the consequences are often tragic.

One thing's for certain: The more RVs there are in the air, the more we will read about bad things happening. It's pure statistics.

Don't become a statistic.

Last edited:
Huge Loss for the RV community

Steve helped me finish my RV-6. I took a few weeks off work, packed my plane up and hauled it up to Windward Point (Steve's Hangar) for final assembly.

I worked shoulder to shoulder with Steve to knock the plane out along with his partner and friend Dave Jones (another first class person).

Steve was an excellent craftsman and a super nice guy. We went to lunch every day that I was there, generally with three or four of his local buddies who lived nearby. One was BJ Kennamore, the pilot of the CJ. Steve Raddatz was one of the funniest most quick witted guys I have met. Every day included some sort of lunchtime shenanigans that cracked everybody up. I'm convinced he could have made a living as a standup comedian.
Steve and Dave helped me through the final assembly, inspection, prep for test flying my plane, and they were there for post flight euphoria. They were a real joy to work with and made a great time all the better and safer for me. In a few short weeks I gained an airplane and two really fine friends.

I know that Dave, BJ, and Steve were all really good friends. My heart really goes out to Steve's friends, family, and his loving wife Gina.

First time to sit in an RV-10...

I am a very new pilot (85 hrs), an A&P, and went to snf for the first time this year. I wanted to look at all of the cool things to put into an RV-10 of my own. I met Steve on Tuesday at the AFS booth. I told him I was a new pilot saving up for the entire kit this fall. I explained how I wanted to build an IFR panel so that I could someday get my rating in it. Then for the next 20 minutes we talked, mostly I listened. I knew this guy was sharp! I could not believe he would even talk to a newbie pilot like me. He was just as excited about RV's and building as I. He gave me his business card and told me to call him when I got started this fall and that he would help me with some changes to make or anything I had a question about. Nobody has ever offered there time like that to date. He told my brother and I to go straight out the doors to the flight line and find the unpainted RV-10 and hop in. I could not believe he would let a total stranger from eastern Ky just go out and set in his plane. I had never seen an RV-10 in person...I just knew I was going to build one after seeing all the great things said about them on here since 2004. We went out there, hopped in, closed the doors(so nobody would make fun of us) and made "engine noises" with the RV grin the whole time. What a nice airplane. What a super nice pilot/builder! I have not posted here just because "my dream" was so far away and I figured most people would not want to read about someones dreams anyway. Sorry for the long first post...sitting in Steve's RV-10 was the first part of my dream that has come true. I wish I could have had the chance to learn so much more from him. I won't forget the nicest guy I met at snf 2009!!

Wayne Gillispie
RV-10sb Fall/Winter 2009
Grayson, KY

Discipline...

It is reported that on the turn to downwind the pilot of the RV-8 (who was not F.A.S.T. rated) attempted and un-briefed join-up on the outside of the turn. This was done without the knowledge or consent of the CJ-6 pilot. Observers on the ground estimated that the overtake speed was approximately 80 KTS. The RV-8 struck the right wing of the CJ-6. The wing of the RV-8 separated from the aircraft. The RV-8 plummeted to the ground and disintegrated on the nearby college campus killing the pilot upon impact.

I too met Steve at SNF many years ago when he was flying his first RV8, a great guy! What actually happened is now TBD but we should all try and learn from it and avoid making the same mistakes. In the USAF I buried many friends killed both in training and the line of duty, highly trained, competent combat fighter pilots. The only solace we had was that they died doing what they loved.
When you get close (less than 500 feet) from another airplane, make sure you know what you're doing, have had proper training and have talked about it beforehand. A moment's inattention can be very costly.

Pray for his family.

Smokey
HR2

Last edited:
Back