What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Performance Propellers

LarryT

Well Known Member
I am investigating the purchase of an RV-6 aircraft with a Performance Propeller. Searched the archives but couldn't find anything. If you have experience with this propeller manufacturer, please share.

Their website indicates that they are no longer manufactuering new propellers but will be supporting existing customers until 2011.

Larry

I have one

and I love it... It is on a RV-7A with a 0-360, 9.2-1 pistons, LS ignition and a mag...

Normally Clark tunes the prop to the plane. In my case he sent it to me in just a protective finish. I flew the plane and recorded rpm at different flight phases per his instructions. Sent the prop back with the numbers he wanted and in two weeks I got the prop back in finish coat with the leading edge protection. It was right on the money RPM wise. I asked him to bias mine towards cruise and that's what I got.

It is a well made prop of hard rock maple and looks as good today after 250 hours as it did the day I installed it.

I was sorry to hear that he was semi retiring... He makes a good prop

Last edited:
My Prop

I had a Performance Prop on my 6A. Clark Lydick made one of the best wooden props around. His was a tried and true design, tweeked by him.
1/8" hardwood laminations made it one of the strongest and best made. It also looked beautiful do to the laminations. And the way he worked with me to get every bit of performance from the prop for my plane was....well very unusual.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
This is a shot of the Landoll Dampener as well.
The wood prop is really smooth, but adding the dampener also adds the weight to give it the inertia weight it needs.

Clark used to be married to Bernie Warnke's daughter. I think he learned prop making from Bernie.
I was the first person to put one of his three blade props on an RV-6A in the early 90's (I think there was an RV-4 flying with one at the time).

It was a nicely made prop. 1/16 inch thick lamination's of hard rock maple.
It was a solid very tough prop and ran very smooth. I liked it.

Back