VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-24-2017, 08:14 PM

Bret, Nice panel. Do you suppose you could take a head on picture of your panel (from the pilots prospective)?
Allen
Old 10-25-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricflyer View Post
Bret, Nice panel. Do you suppose you could take a head on picture of your panel (from the pilots prospective)?
Allen
Thanks, I'll be going out to airport this weekend....I sure do envy the folks that live on an airpark....
Old 10-25-2017, 04:40 PM

Some of you guys are out of control there with those flash panels! Amazing work & costly too! Airliner material:-)
Does anyone still do a std 6 pack these days? Old school here as I like to look out the window & admire the view than inside heads down fiddling missing the world go by
Old 10-25-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt View Post
Some of you guys are out of control there with those flash panels! Amazing work & costly too! Airliner material:-)
Does anyone still do a std 6 pack these days? Old school here as I like to look out the window & admire the view than inside heads down fiddling missing the world go by
Go to post one, 2005, amazing to see how fast technology has advanced, I am new to all this and still learning, waiting for voice activated auto throttle take off and landing, they already fly A to B with just pushing a button!
Old 01-08-2018, 05:15 PM

Default Review of my panel design/layout

Hello everyone.
So I'm working on FWF and will be moving into panel and wiring next. I have held off long enough and think I need some input on my panel design/layout. Please let me know your thought pro's and con's. RV7 - tipup

Viewing link of image is here for zooming.
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...oYrI_bfbtPxn-I
Pazmany PL-1 N2029 (bought & sold)
RV7 - N537TC (reserved & building)
Emp, Wings & Fuse done - working on FWF

"The air is an extremely dangerous, jealous and exacting mistress. Once under the spell most lovers are faithful to the end, which is not always old age." - Winston Churchill
Old 01-09-2018, 07:39 PM

One gotcha to watch out for: If you're using the RV7 panel DXF drawing from Van's, it is actually of the unbent panel. The actual panel is about an inch shorter in real life with the bend included. Double check your vertical dimension against your actual panel blank; the vertical dimension of my stock panel is ~ 10 3/16"

My layout assumed the extra inch was usable space, so my panel layout wouldn't work. I had a new panel cut by Up North Aviation from an oversized blank from Van's that only has the bend completed to add my inch back.
N430WB (reserved) RV-7 #74152, tip-up. Engine hung!
Log at: http://rv7.wbencze.com
Defeating gravity one rivet at a time
VAF 2018 donation happily made
Old 01-09-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret View Post
Go to post one, 2005, amazing to see how fast technology has advanced, I am new to all this and still learning, waiting for voice activated auto throttle take off and landing, they already fly A to B with just pushing a button!
I have but unfortunately all the early pix are not accessible anymore:-( I wanted to see the Piper Arrow quadrant someone used, I'd like that as I really dislike the 7 & 6 throttle arrangements, reminds me of a Cessna!:-)
Old 01-09-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Md11av8r View Post
Almost ready!!

Gee that looks sweet, one of the most organized & functional layouts I've seen n here ! Well done
Old 01-10-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazmanyflyer View Post
Hello everyone.
So I'm working on FWF and will be moving into panel and wiring next. I have held off long enough and think I need some input on my panel design/layout. Please let me know your thought pro's and con's. RV7 - tipup[/url]

I like your panel. You might consider allowing a space large enough for a G5X just in case you (or a future owner) to install.

QUESTION > What switches are you planning to use for your lights (the larger circular), are they a push button?
RV14A (N14ZT), Ser#140195
Start 10/11/14
Dues paid 12/1/17 (USArmy 2/67-2/70)
www.mykitlog.com/jeffw@sc47

!! I SURVIVED RIPON ARRIVAL - KOSH 7/21/2018 !!
Old 01-10-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazmanyflyer View Post
So I'm working on FWF and will be moving into panel and wiring next. I have held off long enough and think I need some input on my panel design/layout. Please let me know your thought pro's and con's. RV7 - tipup
Here are a “few” comments, and of course, your mileage may vary:
1. The USB port on the left is so close to the throttle that there may be interference with the port or the cables;
2. If there is anything dangling from the ignition key, it may hit the stick when deflected or be a nuisance on your leg;
3. Things that earn their way onto the stick are those that you use frequently and need promptly, or need to access when both hands are busy. Boost pump does not qualify. Also, there’s the concept of flow, that you move your attention around the cockpit in the same order as they appear on the checklist to make sure that the switches are all set. Boost pump on the stick probably wouldn’t fit that concept well;
4. Similarly, the only reason for having flaps on the stick is if you need to dump flaps on the rollout. I’ve thought about doing this on my RV-8;
5. Nice that your stick grip is not left or right handed;
6. I’ve learned to fly my RV-9A with left hand on the stick, and it no longer has the awkward feeling it did when I started. You’ll have all of Phase 1 to get used to it, so you might not need the dual throttles;
7. Good that you grouped your switches instead of having a long row;
8. I’d put strobe at the end, rather than in the middle;
9. If you ever do go inside cloud, it will be strobes off, pitot heat on. You might consider putting them next to each other;
10. The parking brake is in an area normally reserved for power controls, and more specifically, for carburetor heat. I’d move it. Similarly for cabin heat;
11. No point in putting warning lights on the center stack, put them in front of the pilot;
12. Having a light for fuel pump on is no longer considered by all to be good human factors (quiet, dark cockpit concept). The argument is that it gets you used to seeing a light on;
13. Move the seat warmer switches closer to the pilot.

Hope this helps,

Ed
2018 dues paid
Retired - "They used to pay me to be good, now I'm good for nothing."