VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-24-2020, 09:35 AM

I just received my Titan IO-370 and I think it will be a great engine. Do a search. While there are not a ton of builders out there yet flying with these engines there are some here on the forums and performance is noted as being superior to an IO-360. Mine is probably close to 200HP with FM-150, dual PMags, and high compression pistons.

I would select your engine then your prop but thatís just me. I havenít finalized on a prop yet but it will likely be a 3 blade Catto.

Give J.B. at Titan a call. He was a great guy to work with.
RV-7 Fuselage in progress
* Cabin Interior - In progress
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete
Old 02-24-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_ascent View Post
I just received my Titan IO-370 and I think it will be a great engine. Do a search. While there are not a ton of builders out there yet flying with these engines there are some here on the forums and performance is noted as being superior to an IO-360. Mine is probably close to 200HP with FM-150, dual PMags, and high compression pistons.
That's pretty similar to the setup I had JB quote last summer. Only real difference is that I'm going with SDS CPI2 for the ignition. And that's about the same HP figures I expected to get out of the build.

Quote:
I would select your engine then your prop but that’s just me. I haven’t finalized on a prop yet but it will likely be a 3 blade Catto.
I do want to go CS, preferably a composite to minimize the weight penalty, but the other options in that realm both represent significant cost differences. For example, the Hartzell composite is nearly 40% more than the WW. MT is a little better but still about 30% more.

Basically, what got me looking at the angle valve 360 and 390 was the thought that if I was going to spend some extra bills, getting more horses out of it seemed worthwhile.

Edit: on a related note, I got a price sheet from Lyc Thunderbolt today...$38.5k for an IO-390...I don't think those extra horses are worth that much of a premium.
https://www.meetup.com/Houston-Area-RV-Enthusiasts/

Last edited by N546RV : 02-24-2020 at 08:55 PM.