What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Old kit?

I don't think there is any reason that kit isn't as good as a new kit from the factory unless parts are missing or there is corrosion.

So, yes, I'd buy it if I was in the market for a -9 kit.

You could check with Van's, using the tail kit number, and see if there are any revisions to the kit and then obtain any revised parts needed. The cost of revised parts combined with the cost of the older kit might be a bargaining chip.

Roberta:)

bill of sale?

Reading some other posts, if you are the third owner of a kit, do you have to have the original bill of sale? For instance if I buy an empennage and/or wing kit and they don?t have it, can I get it from Van?s?

Reading some other posts, if you are the third owner of a kit, do you have to have the original bill of sale? For instance if I buy an empennage and/or wing kit and they don?t have it, can I get it from Van?s?

You need to establish a chain of ownership. A bill of sale from owner 1 to owner 2 and a bill of sale from owner 2 to owner 3.

My RV-6 started as a second or third hand tail kit. I matched it up to a third hand wing kit and sold the tail kit that came with the wings.

My RV-10 started as a third hand kit.

Blue plastic coating

If the parts still have the blue plastic and it has been exposed to uv light, it could be a right bear to remove.

Would that be a deal breaker for you Don?

If the price is right, I wouldn't let the blue vinyl dissuade you. I postponed building the 2012 vintage tailcone from my -10 emp kit until just recently. The plastic was definitely more difficult than when new, but not impossible. Rolling it onto a long dowel worked well. Mine left some residue behind, but it was easily wiped away with acetone.

Make sure the kit is complete with all hardware! Some of that stuff is pricey, especially the trim servo kit (unless manual trim was specified).

Just depends...

Would that be a deal breaker for you Don?

I?d need to see it, if t is crazed, you won?t ne able to roll it on anything. Some types of paint remover might work, but I haven?t seen any modern ones that work very well. I have a friend who is dealing with this issue, but fortunately only on a few pars that were subject to uv light. Those in the box are fine, a little harder but not a PITA.

Back