What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Late Departure Oshkosh Question

Dreamin9

Usually we fly in early like Friday/Saturday and leave mid-week.
This coming Airventure we're considering arriving during the week on Thursday and leaving Sunday.

How bad is the Sunday departure? I really don't want to be idling/taxing my RV-9A for a long period.

Thanks,

Carl

Usually we fly in early like Friday/Saturday and leave mid-week.
This coming Airventure we're considering arriving during the week on Thursday and leaving Sunday.

How bad is the Sunday departure? I really don't want to be idling/taxing my RV-9A for a long period.

Thanks,

Carl

We left Thursday last year and I thought I was going to cook the engine before we got out of there. Engine did not like it when I was told to roll! It did not completely clean up till I turned out to the southeast! I love the super early departures. Shipping boxes and other stuff slowed me down this year.

The moral of the story is...I don't like sitting there getting too hot either!

Like most days, it depends on the time of day mostly, along with other factors like the weather. Sunday has become a heavy departure day the last few years as more and more folks stick around for the Saturday night airshow. So- if you try to leave at 11AM on Sunday, you might find that 1000 other people had the same idea. If you get out good and early, like before 8AM, you should have no problem, but of course that depends heavily on the weather.

Clear as mud?

Leave early and it?s ok

Last year I was ready to crank on Sunday morning as soon as they opened the airport (7AM). ?Was one of the first to leave and had no issues.

(But my dad hung around for a little while and said it got real busy by 10:00am.)

I had the same concern. Last year I left about 10am Sunday and there was no delay at all.

It feels really weird departing late Sunday or Monday. Nobody around and the ghostly grass markings of a thousand absent planes.

Back