What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip up canopy seal?

Timberwolf

Well Known Member
I'm just finishing the G3X install and want to get my canopy as waterproof as possible in the front area as the rain has already cost me a KN64. I understand most people use the P-type or D-type seal on the front edge to seal it, however the problem that still exists is the hinge area. I can't come up with a simple solution for a seal that will allow full motion of the canopy and still seal out the rain that is liable to seem into the cracks. Anyone have any ideas or pics of how they have sealed off this area?

The image you posted looks like the older hinge design that includes clearance slots in the boot cowl. I have not seen those very often first hand or talked to folks that have them and fly in the rain. Sorry I could not help. Good luck.

Steve's solution --- for parked airplane?

It looks as though these seals (look great!) are for a parked (not flying) airplane?

Ron

Those do look great, but I can't see how those would benefit on a flying aircraft. I've thought about 3D printing something, but it would need to articulate for when you tip the canopy up.

So far I've sealed around the hinge points with lexel sealant, and sealed the rest of the canopy across, however when closed you can still see light in the hinge area. Whenever I park it outside on trips I've just been using blue painters tape to tape the whole seam before I put the cover on. I do have a drip tube on the inside as well, though it is made out of rubber and I would like to fashion a new one out of aluminum.

If there's an easy way to convert to the newer style I'd love to, however I have a feeling it would be a very large undertaking and required a fair amount of work. Anyone else come up with a good solution?

no good way to seal hinge, but this works for me - tape

Apply 3" vinyl tape to canopy to the hinge line when the canopy is closed. make sure to extend the tape slightly outboard of the hinges. Open the canopy, get in and fly. The tape will be secure. I also use an interior avionics cover supplied by Aircraft Interiors (Abby) to cover the avionics. No water will ingress to affect the avionics. The water will drain to the side and then out. I don't get any water ingress with the tape method. The vinyl tape doesn't affect my paint. The tape will last multiple flights. This is the cheapest easiest solution that is effective. I think I'm a little faster with the tape. :)

IMG_20171007_194028_zpsxcipgq1w.jpg

IMG_20171007_194009_zpsuk1km6of.jpg

IMG_20171007_193900_zps4xbttwru.jpg

IMG_20171007_193933_zpswznmpbgx.jpg

Last edited:
Good pics and explanation. I've flown through quite a few heavy storms and water ingress is minimal in flight. On the ground when I'm out I'll tape up the seams. This method seems takes care of that and is cheap. Not permanent, but it works.

Amazon: 3M General Purpose Vinyl Tape 764 White, 3 in x 36 yd 5.0 mil

this is the tape in my picture in the white color.

Last edited:
pushed to better color

I remember riveting my top deck. It was tight. I felt I had to stretch it over. Over several years I think it's forcing some subtle change in overall fit. My canopy is not as tight as it used to be, it rides up slightly, and my engine cowl has a slight aft facing step. Well, that is what you get for stretching the metal. I've been doing some water ingress testing and I'm tired of seeing water flowing down the rear glass and also next to me from the canopy in rain when not moving. So, I am moving to dark side with tape. One benefit I noticed is an increase in speed. Now I am beginning to think tape is not so bad.

white tape looks better. teflon tape layed underneath at the seam.

IMG_20171011_192148_zpswrmrblyf.jpg

tapollogy....teflon tape under the tape at the hinge line. this has been opened and closed several times. still looks good.

IMG_20171011_192124_zpsajckq4qx.jpg

tape other places.

IMG_20171011_192317_zps42tbi0zp.jpg

IMG_20171011_192343_zpsspmxwzmc.jpg

IMG_20171011_192302_zps6o3tz7ul.jpg

IMG_20171011_192501_zpslpwmpmrz.jpg

RTV to seal water ingress

IMG_20171011_192409_zpswn58p70u.jpg

IMG_20171011_192451_zpsqtmjzstd.jpg

Last edited:
Teflon tape

Steve,

Would you provide more details about both types of Teflon tape you used. Looks like the tape under the tip-up canopy gap is wider than the other Teflon tape in your pictures. The tape under the "canopy gap tape" also looks like it may be reinforced?

I busted thru some rain over the Mississippi River on my trip home from Branson MO this weekend. No water ingress. The canopy has been up and down at least 30 times with the same tape and is still holding fine and looks good. This version of tape has a 1/2" strip of teflon pipe tape laid at the hinge line then 3" vinyl tape laid over the top. We are still early in evolution of the best tape application for this area so there maybe other ideas. I am happy to find something that works and doesn't look too bad.

Note: 2" vinyl tape may be enough for this area compared to the 3" tape.

Last edited:
Elegant...

Steve:
I've been handing out rolls of electrical tape at my departure points and having a lineman tape the front seam. I really like your solution - I'm putting it into my "Why didn't I think of that" file and intend to use it on my next trip. Thanks.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Back