What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Web Page Software

Chofrock

I know several RV builders have websites. I hope they are the same people that come here.

What software does everyone use for creating thier web pages?

I thought about creating a perl script that would create webpages from a some sort of a log in an excel spreadsheet, but I would rather use my time on other things.

All depends on your web hosting platform. If you have access to a PHP / MySQL host I am loving wordpress to create an online BLOG style site.

If you want client software you can use Front Page for windows or Adobe GoLive for Mac.

I set up a MediaWiki server for my builder log/website. It took a little effort up front to get it going, but the daily updates are cake now.

--Ken

Web Software

I use Coffeecup, and have been happy with it.

John

http://www.coffeecup.com/

Chofrock said:
I know several RV builders have websites. I hope they are the same people that come here.

I thought about creating a perl script that would create webpages from a some sort of a log in an excel spreadsheet, but I would rather use my time on other things.

Web page software

Chofrock said:
In a way it's like asking "what kind of airplane should I fly?"

It really depends on what you want to do with the site, and how much time and energy you want to invest. Today, it doesn't have to cost much at all.

Have a look at builder sites that you like, and then scroll to the bottom of the page. Most of the time you can see what they used to build/manage the site. If not, doing a "View Source" can often give you clues.

If you want to get going quickly, I'd recommend using one of the many platforms that are already up and running, like expercraft or blogger.com or kitlog or some of the others. This has been discussed here a couple of times, and there are good answers in those other threads, which may apply to your wishes.

Kenneth said:
I set up a MediaWiki server for my builder log/website. It took a little effort up front to get it going, but the daily updates are cake now.
So when your friend visits you they can go to site and update it behalf of you as in Wikipedia? ;) But this one sure feels cheap and easy way to do the job. But there ain't free nuts...

Mickey has good points. I use all kinds of powerful apps at the day job, but use plain old vanilla MS Frontpage for VansAirForce.net. I upload changes using CuteFTP ($20). Nothing fancy.

b,
d

I use Namo Webeditor 6, pretty easy to use and add single embedded photos and has built in FPT for upload, I use JAlbum (freeware) for the photo gallery, has a synchronize function and allows notes etc to be added.

If you use KitLog Pro for your builder's log, it will also create a builder's website and we host it for free without advertisements....see www.mykitlog.com for an example of some builder's websites that is created with KitLog Pro.

I switched to Mac a little over a year ago (the dark side :eek: ) so am using iWeb. Very easy and intuitive for Mac users.

Due to work/personal commitments, I haven't worked on my project or updated the site in a couple of months, but I use a bunch of PHP scripts I wrote to make it easy. I totally hacked them together in a few hours, so they're messy, but I'm thinking of cleaning them up, adding some functionality, and releasing under GPL.

If anyone's interested in contributing, shoot me an e-mail. I'm not kicking this off until the end of Sept.

Wordpress is good, easy to use blogging software. You can host it yourself which I do or you can set up an account on their site. Lends itself very nicely to a builder's log.

www.wordpress.org

After 20+ years of using EVERYTHING... I always come back to 2... depending upon the OS platform.

vipower.gif

notepad.gif

:D

So when your friend visits you they can go to site and update it behalf of you as in Wikipedia? ;) But this one sure feels cheap and easy way to do the job. But there ain't free nuts...

It is free. Easy is relative; my web hosting provider (USWDH) maintains it on my site for me, so they handle the updates ... but sometimes I have to remind them if a PHP or MySQL update causes problems. That's about the only problem, though. There was also a steep learning curve for configuring the software but, once done, it has required no further attention in several years. Updates can be anywhere, from any internet connected browser, making it easy to make changes. However, it has a complete credential system. I have given myself but no one else authority to update my site. On our EAA chapter's site, I have the only authority to create users. The users I create for members have 'author' authority; they can create and edit content for our site. All others are only readers and cannot change anything.

I teach a class in Web Programming in the Fall semester and am quite capable of custom creation (my preferred suite of tools is either Visual Studio for .net or NetBeans for .php and Javascript; content creation tools vary depending on the content and are usually provided by designers working with programmers) but for a personal blog site like this, I greatly prefer a pre-built package. Blogging packages are readily available and nice but a wiki solution generally has more flexibility in look and feel, with the disadvantage of being correspondingly harder to configure and use.

Back