What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AVEO light discoloration

Maxrate

Well Known Member
I have a 5 year old posistrobe XP that has pretty much set in the box. The polycarbonate material that the LED is encased in has disclolred, almost a yellowish brown, like the headlights of the late nineties. The light operates correctly however. Sorry no pics. Has anyone else run into this with the AVEO products. The supplier that I purchased from has moved on and Spruce can't offer any info.
Thanks

I have a 5 year old posistrobe XP that has pretty much set in the box. The polycarbonate material that the LED is encased in has disclolred, almost a yellowish brown, like the headlights of the late nineties. The light operates correctly however. Sorry no pics. Has anyone else run into this with the AVEO products. The supplier that I purchased from has moved on and Spruce can't offer any info.
Thanks

I have their lights installed and had one fail. Contacted them directly and they made good. You might want to contact them to see what they say. The lights have a lifetime warranty.

Thanks

Yep, had the exact same problem on mine (although it was mounted a couple of years ago; airplane is hangared, so the amount of direct sunlight on it is theoretically about the same as the flight hours, 300 or so).

Aveo replaced it no problem just this week. They said they have improved their polycarbonate housing since the product was first introduced (my Aveo Ultra Embedded nav/strobe lights show no discoloration).

Contact them directly...PM me for email of the guy who helped me. VERY responsive customer service from their Florida office.

Aveo replaced it no problem just this week. They said they have improved their polycarbonate housing since the product was first introduced (my Aveo Ultra Embedded nav/strobe lights show no discoloration).

Contact them directly...PM me for email of the guy who helped me. VERY responsive customer service from their Florida office.

Guess it depends who you talk to. I had nav/strobes installed for ~500 hrs when I called to complain about them being discolored and rough. The guy I talked to told me to clean them with denatured alcohol and buff them out. If they didn't clean up to call them back. I quizzed him about the material since they're using the same advertising term, Diatanium or something, as when I purchased. He said they changed but seemed to waffle whether I had the old or new. They cleaned up to be more presentable but still not as clear as when new. I haven't called them back but the conversation left a real bad taste.

the good the bad and the ugly

Polycarbonate
Has some good and bad properties.
It's very bendable and very safe because it's very soft, drills very easy.
Great for impact resistance and safety wear.

On poly sheets it will say this side out because it has a UV coat added on that side.
On eye wear UV coat is added automatically. Not the best optically, also has chromatic distortions
Will Yellow over time.

Bill

Guess it depends who you talk to. I had nav/strobes installed for ~500 hrs when I called to complain about them being discolored and rough. The guy I talked to told me to clean them with denatured alcohol and buff them out. If they didn't clean up to call them back. I quizzed him about the material since they're using the same advertising term, Diatanium or something, as when I purchased. He said they changed but seemed to waffle whether I had the old or new. They cleaned up to be more presentable but still not as clear as when new. I haven't called them back but the conversation left a real bad taste.

I had the same experience with my AVEO POWERBURST Nav/Strobe lights and my airplane is always hangared. They told me they have to be buffed and waxed once or twice a month and it is specified in section #8 of the POWERBURST Installation Manual. They did send me some kind of "buffing compound" that helped a bit but did not clear up the yellowish haze. As a comparison my KUNTLEMAN beacon, which is 3yrs older than the AVEO, is as clear as the day I bought it and I have never buffed or waxed it.

I haven't called them back but if the lights fail or get too opaque I will change to another brand.

:cool:

Aveo

Oh well. Was planning on buying these as well
As a tear drop shaped landing light that I was planning on
mounting to the inspection panel. I now have second thoughts.

Aveo CEO has yet to write me back about a product inquiry, this combined with the constant promises of the Conforma wing tips and then misdelivery, has me doubting the company, especially with the prices they command

EDIT: I did hear from someone else at Aveo, who was extremely helpful- perhaps the CEO is busy, which is understandable. I was rather eager to display the Conforma wingtips and exchanged 15-20 emails inquiring about fit and details, I still do not have a pair nor have been offered the opportunity to purchase a pair, so i'll leave that comment in place

Last edited:
Guess it depends who you talk to. I had nav/strobes installed for ~500 hrs when I called to complain about them being discolored and rough. The guy I talked to told me to clean them with denatured alcohol and buff them out. . . . They cleaned up to be more presentable but still not as clear as when new. I haven't called them back but the conversation left a real bad taste.

Identical to my experience, although only my port light is the problem child.

Just a quick report. I called Aveo and they had me send a picture of the discolored light. After looking over the pic, he told me to send them the old light and quickly shipped a new one with very few questions asked. One caveat, if you make a purchase from aveo be sure to register the product on line to get the lifetime warranty. Thanks for all the replies. It looks like their customer support has made great strides!

I know this thread is a few years old but I just notice that the Powerburst Nav/Strobe lights I installed on my Lancair have turned yellow. My plane is always hangared. I was touching up some paint near a wing tip and noticed that the once clear lights are yellow. I emailed Aveo, I'll see what they have to say. I would think that defusing the light output renders the Nav/Strobe less effective.

Last edited:
One of my tip pos/strobe lights had a partial failure and the metal was being exposed thru the plastic. (erosion/migration/shrinkage... dunno) I had a conversation with them at Oshkosh. They had me send them in and replaced both since my model has been replaced. The new ones fit the same, work better and obviously look better. We'll see how they fare in another few years.

Replaced

Well, I have to admit... The new Aveo LED's are far better then the originals. I contacted Aveo about my Powerburst LED's that turned yellow. I sent my yellow LED's to them and after a painfully long wait Aveo sent me the new version of the Powerburst LED's. They are obviously a much more robust design, brighter Cree LED's, better cabling, a stronger aluminum backing and a new encapsulating compound (I hope does not yellow). I was told that Aveo has a trade in program for $100 to upgrade from the old to the new. IMO a good upgrade for the price.

CIMG5858.jpg

CIMG5863.jpg

Back