What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Runway maintenance

vic syracuse

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Mentor
I wasn't sure where to post this so I'll start here.
I have been tasked by our HOA to look at some alternatives to our grass runway maintenance at Mallards Landing in Georgia (GA04). Currently we are using volunteers and for a 4500' runway it is quite a chore, although none of them are complaining and in fact some seem to dedicate their lives to it. We have all types of aircraft here from light sports to turbines so it gets regular use.

That being said, if any of you who live in fly in communities and can give me any recommendations management companies that have worked for you, I would really appreciate it.

Im also interested in what your experiences have been with holding an outside service accountable.

It doesn't seem fair to hold volunteers accountable for the runway and it creates unnecessary tension in the community.

Vic

Vic,
We dont use a management company, we hire a local landscape company to do it. We held em accountable with the check we write. I cant think of when there has ever been a problem but I have only been here for about 5 years. Also the guy is local and near the airpark, although that does not matter really. Anyone could do it.
The contract lays out the requirements. When we have a problem, weeds here, mow grass there, just send an email and that seems to work.
Dont know if that was helpful. I believe our airpark is similar in size and scope as Mallards.

Hi Vic -
Not sure what your mower situation is, or if this helps, but we purchased a used Jacobson commercial mower, 14' swath. Our main runway is paved, but we have a parallel grass runway and common areas that probably are equivalent to what you have. Takes about an hour to mow all of the areas, so we still do it with volunteers (requires a "mower check out").
We have the mower maintained professionally on site.

Not sure if we are money ahead or not vs just paying a landscape company like Kahuna recommends. The mower has been in service now for about 15 years. Maintenance is a few hundred bucks a year on average, tune up, blade sharpening, etc... with occasional bigger repairs.

Turf Management

Vic,
I personally maintain our 3000 x 100 turf runway. Mow 2-3 times a week, fertilize 3 times a year, spray once a year, and aerate once a year. It keeps me busy.

I looked into a commercial turf management company for some of the operations. It's just a matter of money. Our $2500 a year budget would have ballooned to about $10,000 annually.

So the bottom line IS the bottom line. Will your residents accept the increased HOA dues? It will be quite a shock for the residents who have been freeloading off the volunteers, and the non-flyers.

Most residential lawn care companies will not be able to handle this amount of turf, so you'll be looking at commercial level contractors.

So my recommendation is that you purchase one or two nice mowers, and then contract out fertilization and spraying to commercial agricultural operators.

Vic,
I personally maintain our 3000 x 100 turf runway. Mow 2-3 times a week, fertilize 3 times a year, spray once a year, and aerate once a year. It keeps me busy.

I looked into a commercial turf management company for some of the operations. It's just a matter of money. Our $2500 a year budget would have ballooned to about $10,000 annually.

So the bottom line IS the bottom line. Will your residents accept the increased HOA dues? It will be quite a shock for the residents who have been freeloading off the volunteers, and the non-flyers.

Most residential lawn care companies will not be able to handle this amount of turf, so you'll be looking at commercial level contractors.

So my recommendation is that you purchase one or two nice mowers, and then contract out fertilization and spraying to commercial agricultural operators.

We already spend a good bit with mowing and treatments. How often do you roll it?

Vic

I have been tasked by our HOA to look at some alternatives to our grass runway maintenance at Mallards Landing in Georgia (GA04).

DSC09049.JPG

Sorry, couldn't resist...;)

I recommend you hire Jim. Cedar Mills has beautiful grass, and not long back he was hunting someplace warmer ;)

Rolling

We already spend a good bit with mowing and treatments. How often do you roll it?

Vic

I have only rolled it once in 5 years. I like to roll it in the spring about 10 days after the frost comes out. Our underlying soil is very firm, so frost heaving is generally the only reason to roll. This year we didn't have any appreciable frost layer so I doubt I'll roll it.

Obviously that's not a problem for you. If your soil is soft you just have to keep aircraft off after major rainfall or you'll have ruts that need to be smoothed out. I also go over it two times when rolling. First at a 45 degree angle, and then parallel to the runway.

Back