What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Landing light help please

stancaruthers

Well Known Member
I have 2 MR-16 75 watt in each wing tip which pull 13-14 amp per wing. I want to have my landing lights on a single switch instead of one for each wing.
Currently there is a 15 amp breaker and switch for each wing.
Is there a LED replacement? Or any suggestions
With the new avionics I need to shed some load

I have the baja squadron pros (driving/spot combo) and love them. VERY bright and only 3-4 amps each. Mine are in the leading edge, but others have put them in the wing tips with good success. One poster documented the installation with pic's.

75 watts should be pulling only 6 amps at battery voltage and a bit less while running. You may want to check your EMS setup, unless you meant 14 amps for both lights.

Larry

Last edited:
I have 2 MR-16 75 watt in each wing tip which pull 13-14 amp per wing. I want to have my landing lights on a single switch instead of one for each wing.

These should fit in there just fine. You will have to open the hole up but they are inexpensive alternatives for wingtip LED landing lights.
p10-300x300.jpg

You should be able to find drop in LED MR-16 lamps that will perform very well.

Check www.superbrightleds.com, or www.1000bulbs.com

This one looks possible! https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/153773/GREENCREATIVE-40810.html

Look for highest intensity, high kelvin/whiteness, narrow beam, spot type. I bought 4 and installed 3-4 yrs ago. Need to look myself again as I'm sure the technology has improved since. The ones use cause no rf interference in my plane. That's something you might have to deal with.

Last edited:

Just updated to LED lighting. Needed to free up an extra switch position for ADS-B, and find a replacement for Wig-Wag relay designed for hi current loads. Installed this to solve both issues. Not cheap, but simple install and it works well.

http://www.seatoneng.com/MaxPulse.htm

Thanks for all the help.....
Team Aero Dynamix was gracious enough to let me give $1689.00 for a complete lighting overhaul.
Problem solved :D

Now to move on to the smoke system......any experts out there??
I hear there is a guy in Oklahoma that makes aluminum fitted tank for the ~8
I also see them on Aircraft Spruce

Does n Don't....anyone ?????

Back