What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Safety Bulletin #11-12-14

Hey Jerry - -

Just an opinion, but after seeing your videos, I don't see lots of open areas to make an off-field landing. Would think you could benefit by doing it. Mine has been done for a while, and no leaks. In Iowa, many times of the year we can land about every mile ( on a gravel farm road, hay field, etc. ) !

John Bender

seems like a straight-forward "fix". We have yet to put gas in our VANS factory built tank. It is on the workbench for the clips to be installed. Seal it up good and all should be fine.

I just finished the LSARI-A course today and will perform my inspection in Feb.. I will perform the mod then.

The first tank program was tested to ASTM standards. I have seen no mention of additional testing on the new program. Certainly the computer simulators have approved it but I have my doubts about ripping out a spar channel to see if the new "headless, hollow" bolts shear at the correct moment in time.

Of course, there is always the fear that said bolts will fail in the air at an uncomfortable moment. I'm just not crazy about AN bolts with holts drilled trough them! I'm thinking of planning on avoiding those landings that rip my airplane apart in which case this would be one of numerous issues. As one experienced builder said...it's a flying Coke can! I'm okay with that and move near can crushing obstacles with care.

Pretty simple

We are almost complete. It is pretty simple and took a couple hours.
The hardest part was removing the filler neck. Our wax did not release the proseal from the skin.

Does anyone have accurate information (FAA) as to whether or not this safety bulletin has to be completed by next conditional? I have been told by VAN's that if you built the RV-12 as an EAB then you do not have to comply with the safety bulletin. If built as an ELSA, then you must comply to the safety bulletin. Any clarification would be helpful.

Doyle

Read in Sport Aviation a few months ago the column by Mike Busch (can't find it right now.) From the FAA regulatory and airworthiness POV, you do not have to do anything that is not an Airworthiness Directive from the FAA. Directives from manufacturers, no matter how worded, are not mandatory from a regulatory point of view. Such directives may be really, really good ideas or lawyer-driven wastes of time. And they might be relevant in a lawsuit. But those are separate issues!

A caveat about this is that if you are not finished building and want to be E-LSA you must build per the plans and this mod is now part of the plans. But if you are already built and registered E-LSA? Seems like it is a different story because you are free to make other mods that are not part of the plans.

Once completed, the ELSA becomes experimental: is not required to follow bulletins and of course can even be modified at your pleasure. During the build, as mentioned, all "compliance" measures must be adhered to.

I guess I was living right, when the bulletin came out, I was at the exact right stage to go ahead and implement it, so I did. Really easy mod if the tank is out.

Must make logbook entry

It is my understanding that a logbook entry must be made that addresses any service bulletin. The entry should describe corrective action taken, if any, as deemed necessary by the builder/owner.
Perhaps Mel will comment and clarify this issue.
Joe Gores

The Sport Aviation issue is Dec 2011 (RV-10 on the cover), Column "Savvy Aviator" titled "Intervals." All about what you have to comply with and what you do not.

It is my understanding that a logbook entry must be made that addresses any service bulletin. The entry should describe corrective action taken, if any, as deemed necessary by the builder/owner.
Perhaps Mel will comment and clarify this issue.
Joe Gores

Interesting. I had not heard that. It would be unlikely though since SB's are not required compliance by any Part 91 driver. Maybe someone thought it might be a good idea if you intended to sell it later and wanted to be able to remember why it didn't apply to your aircraft. Just think...if you don't follow it then you are truly preforming your own experiment!

Back