What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Suction Ram Mount for Ipad2 on Canopy?

JerryG150

Well Known Member
Just wondering if anyone has used a suction Ram Mount on the lower front right canopy to mount an Ipad2. My panel has a powdercoat black krinkle so I don't think it'll "stick" there ... that leaves the lower right canopy over the glove box ... I guess. I'm wondering if, at that spot, the canopy can take the stress. Any suggestion on mounting the Ipad2 or should I just get an Ipad kneepad or note book?

My wife won't fly in my plane till I have 40 hours on the Hobbs ... and when she finally flies with me, I'd like the Ipad in front of her. Just 10 more hours needed. :)

IPad2 RAM

I use my iPad2 on a RAM mount anchored to a 1" ball, with ball hard-mounted on 6A structure. Still shakes some. Would guess suction mount wouldn't hold.

I looked at all the options and finally choose a 1.5 inch ball screwed to the right top of the instrument panel in a 6. Works great in that location on the panal. The 1.5 inch ball and ram mount is rock solid but I think perhaps its overkill. If I did it over again I would go with the 1 inch.

George

I've tried to use a suction cup and found that sooner or later it will let to. In some cases it let go from vibration and in other cases it was pressure or temperature related.

I now have the 1" ball bolted in two different locations ( one is lower left and the other is actually under the panel on he rigt) and am very happy.

Yes

I have mounted a Ram suction mount to that location. You do have to find the right spot where there is no curvature and be careful when mounting the cup to get a good seal. Be sure to mount the suction cup without the iPad in the holder then give it a little tug to be sure you got a good seal.

Granted it's not in an RV but I use the suction mount at work. I have tested it by leaving the the suction device secured to the window with the iPad installed for an entire oceanic crossing and it never moved. I will agree that the vibration would be less and the window is heated but I put it down in a corner so part of the suction cup is warm and part of it is cold, really cold. Thinking about it here, those who have had trouble with it coming unstuck did you have it on the canopy? Wondering if the very slight curvature is the problem?

On your knee

I went through a couple of mounting options including the suction mount before settling on the knee mount. I found the knee mount most functional as you will be hands on with the iPad a lot, and it is easier to get to when it's right there on your thigh. I ended up with the simplest mount, I forget the name, which is just two side grips and a Velcro strap. $20 bucks at OSH. iPad on one leg, clip board on the other. Works great.

IPAD Mount

I mounted a 1" ball just to the lower right of the radio stack to catch a stiffener. The arm lets me rotate the IPAD for use of the passenger, or angle for pilot only use. It has been rock solid

Greg
Louisville Ky.
N773PF RV7

Back