What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

prop balancing

jask

Well Known Member
Anyone interested in propeller balancing, send me a message. I am located in Ramona, Ca. For now, I have only made the brackets for lycoming engines. I have a dynavibe balancer and I do not break the torque or remove case bolts.

Prop balancng

I was reading a previous thread on using the Dynavibe and some users were reporting as many as 10 runs to complete a balancing. That is way out of line as to what is required. The more expensive model will compute a split weight solution which will help a lot but the classic does just fine but requires the operator to calculate the solution. The solution the classic displays in the degree of prop rotation for the heavy location and the amount of the velocity. The Classic actually calculates these figures from the vector and the sensor data. The amount of weight needed is ((HP/10)+30)*ips. The weight in grams is only valid if the weight is added at the 180 degree point and at the same distance the sensor is from the center of the crankshaft. The weight is inversely proportioned to the actual location of the added weight. For example, if your sensor is mounted 12 inches from the crank center and you are adding weight 6 inches from the crank center, then you will need to use double the weight. Most times, you only need to make two corrections and the third to verify less than .07 ips.

Last edited:
Back