What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN650, G3X Touch, and ForeFlight?

Spirko

I added a GTN650 to my G3X Touch system and am having trouble uploading flight plans from ForeFlight. Those of you who have done this, thanks for the help.

I?ve read threads on VAF that indicate one can transfer flight plans to the GTN, but at this point I?m having trouble getting them into either the GTN or G3X. (I can download flight plans to iPad ForeFlight from either the GTN or G3X.)

Briefly:
With my VFR G3X system I sent flight plans via bluetooth to and from ForeFlight easily.

1. Do I need to use a Flight Stream 510 to get ForeFlight Flight Plans into a GTN? (I was counseled that I didn?t need to add this pricey item)

2. Do I need to use Garmin Pilot or does ForeFlight send flight plans to the GTN?

More detail:
I?m hoping I can reconfigure this, but currently I?m not given the option of sending a flight plan from ForeFlight at all, no ((+)) symbol at top of the ForeFlight map page, unless there is an active Flightplan on either the G3X or the GTN, and then can only send it to the G3X (when in Internal FPL Source mode) and usually get a message, ?Unable, Flight plan not sent. Too many characters for panel.? And this when the flight plan consists of only two airports and a VOR in between. I can't send a flight plan to the GTN at all. There is a Flight Plan Option button with the Connext Icon which reads, "Send to GTN" but this, like a "door close" button on an elevator, does not appear to do anything.

Thanks as always for your help,
-Craig

I am not sure about Foreflight but this works great with Garmin Pilot. You connect the IPad to the G3X Touch via Bluetooth and it all works. The G3X Touch takes the place of the FS 510 so with Garmin Pilot, I know that is not needed.

As for Foreflight, did you connect the IPad to the Touch via Bluetooth? Do you see weather and traffic on Foreflight from your Garmin ADS-B solution?

Last edited:
I'm sure Steve will jump in here soon but the quick answer is yes, if you hooked up the 'connext' serial line from the 650 to the G3X, flight plans seemlessly transfer between the 650 and Foreflight.

I currntly fly a cherokee that has a gtn 650, and it connects to my ipad (foreflight) via bluetooth no problem at all. Displays traffic, weather, and make changes to flight plan on either device

You need a Flight Stream device to transfer from mobile devices to a GTN. This link is in response to flight plans being transferred from the G3X to the GTN which can?t be done either.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=954294&postcount=20

This is a feature I sure wish they would change.

Garmin Pilot can transfer flight plans to the GTN thru the G3X Touch without a Flight Stream device (The Touch fills in for the Flight Stream Device). These show up on the GTN as a new flight plan that can be imported and activated. It appears from the Foreflight brochure that they can as well.

The GTN flight plan will also transfer/sync to the G3X Touch but the G3X Touch internal flight plan cannot transfer to the GTN. UPDATE: My info was outdated and G3XPERT confirms that now you can transfer from the G3X Touch to the GTN. Thanks Steve!

Last edited:
I am not sure about Foreflight but this works great with Garmin Pilot. You connect the IPad to the G3X Touch via Bluetooth and it all works. The G3X Touch takes the place of the FS 510 so with Garmin Pilot, I know that is not needed.

As for Foreflight, did you connect the IPad to the Touch via Bluetooth? Do you see weather and traffic on Foreflight from your Garmin ADS-B solution?

Yes, I connected the iPad to the G3X via bluetooth, I can download a flight plans into ForeFlight from either the GTN or G3X. I can also see attitude information from the G3X in ForeFlight, I'll check if I get Wx and traffic.

You need a Flight Stream device to transfer from mobile devices to a GTN. This link is in response to flight plans being transferred from the G3X to the GTN which can?t be done either.

This is a feature I sure wish they would change.

On my RV-9A, I can transfer flight plans either direction between the G3X and the GTN 650, been doing it for years. Don't recall which wires do it... there's lots of details to an installation.

Ed

Garmin Pilot can transfer flight plans to the GTN thru the G3X Touch without a Flight Stream device (The Touch fills in for the Flight Stream Device). These show up on the GTN as a new flight plan that can be imported and activated. It appears from the Foreflight brochure that they can as well.

The GTN flight plan will also transfer/sync to the G3X Touch but the G3X Touch internal flight plan cannot transfer to the GTN.

Brian,

Thanks for the insight. I have not yet seen how to do that and have been under the impression from the post by G3Xpert I read that no flight plans would go upstream to the GTN. I use ForeFlight and Connext between ForeFlight and the G3X have been great.

Hello,

You actually can send an internal flight plan to the GTN when you are flying VFR using the GDU 4XX for flight planning and want to give the GTN a copy of the flight plan so it can follow along.

This was a feature that many customers requested, so we added it some time back.

With Internal flight planning selected, press Menu from the flight plan page and the "Send to GTN" button initiates the transfer.

oc1Pm5OF-wCirnZjNo2xIMpv5PXfYDrTgoR8ygX5cQCOJKA1fonHvczdfbf9bNDZUTLdEUQZbauRTeaVH0QJRB-dCBHbdnJEK2UORbTNSwa10qdMX__1UZMYiExef30K7qVuBvT2066z_XxaUoIH6K6C2Wev-BNhHfyJu6aPrydmrjK5JR-Xw8PU39qSAcrbqNm9ApzB5Ggo1ECmZZvB_9iUwHVnhRQvLXQFL2eggdHeHb6OZGs9Y4pQn90bcu0o7b5YiOaTesYdQZk8uDWXm0FCyIiRfNtKwG4ksjIEfOKx06cQCD6r_IQUeCZ2LUlmWv5H_n9dH-GXX1CAxB5sADk_zE0Bf5NQVxS5gI-ejN7M7EA0bPzhwy0VvUh0_upyfKZ-woJ-InnTdWLNxLzfrJs-b3t4m8ayNOWb2tpaoGkY9SJumECUQnNnmkzzl8ScdMayh0fXIjG29UQV_8FbPclE0mingquaDB7L0iqHh_x1yStggcjAkmo848Ib_fVDlMHO5me5lQ3Ue23iLK4SgJZKzCWLFQKhOGG9CHoVGF-sjqVwhVV7oow8GHmc3BCZvR0awAwmcc6AiLZ39KD34eBxRXxG4l3kat29JtJ4GLdKmLljVUWB=w507-h550-no

You can do the same thing with a GNS navigator and the "Send to GNS" button.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello,

You actually can send an internal flight plan to the GTN when you are flying VFR using the GDU 4XX for flight planning and want to give the GTN a copy of the flight plan so it can follow along.

This was a feature that many customers requested, so we added it some time back.

With Internal flight planning selected, press Menu from the flight plan page and the "Send to GTN" button initiates the transfer.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks Steve, my info was outdated and I must have missed you guys adding this feature! Thanks!

I have updated my prior post stating that this was not possible.

Reviewing this post is seems you can upload a flightplan from ForeFlight to the GTN-650 if you have the Garming Flightstream 210. Is this correct?

So this $950 Garmin box does the same thing as the $35 plug in wifi for my SkyView system.

Why does it cost Garmin so much to provide this simple capability?

Carl

Reviewing this post is seems you can upload a flightplan from ForeFlight to the GTN-650 if you have the Garming Flightstream 210. Is this correct?

So this $950 Garmin box does the same thing as the $35 plug in wifi for my SkyView system.

Carl

Likely has something to do with the GTN being TSO'd for enroute and approaches and all the requirements/specifics around that. Ensuring that the flightplan does not get corrupted or misconfigured by some external source is high on the priority list. Very much different than transfering stuff back and forth to a Skyview which is not a certified IFR navigator.

If one has a G3X Touch paired with a GTN, they don't need a FlightStream box for all this magic to happen.

Carl

Hello Carl,

As others have said, each GDU in a G3X Touch system has built-in wireless interfaces (and a video interface), and require no external devices to perform these functions. Additonally, each GDU in a G3X Touch system has a built-in high performance WAAS GPS receiver.

The PFD display in a G3X Touch system takes the place of the FlightStream 210 and supports bi-directional flight plan transfer from external devices to both the G3X Touch displays and the GTN/GNS navigators using Garmin Pilot and ForeFlight (possibly others), and some Garmin portables.

Thanks,
Steve

Likely has something to do with the GTN being TSO'd for enroute and approaches and all the requirements/specifics around that. Ensuring that the flightplan does not get corrupted or misconfigured by some external source is high on the priority list. Very much different than transfering stuff back and forth to a Skyview which is not a certified IFR navigator.

If one has a G3X Touch paired with a GTN, they don't need a FlightStream box for all this magic to happen.

So using your example the G3X, not being a TSO IFR navigator, should not be allowed to upload to the GTN-650 as well.

Up loading a flight plan from ForeFlight has nothing to do with IFR TSO certification. If I fat finger in the flight plan to the GTN-650 there is no FAA guy looking over my shoulder.

This is a simple capabiliy that should be part of the base GTN-650, not an opportunity for Garmin to upsell overpriced add ons - or market the G3X. This aspect of the Garmin business model is example of one reason why I look to SkyView instead of the G3X.

For $950 I?ll just continue to manually load the flightplan into the GTN-650 when IFR or use the SkyView wifi connection when VFR to upload the flight plan. Not hard, just an irritation knowing Garming could add this capability to the base GTN-650 for just a few dollars.

Carl

Carl

It costs nothing if you have a G3X touch system and a 650. Not even the $35 you have to pay for your SkyView system. The G3x touch has blue tooth built in to communicate with iPads, etc. There is a wired connection between the 650 and the G3x system to tie them together. The information all flows seamlessly between them. I have been doing this for the last year without any issues.

So your $950 to $35 comparison is apples and oranges.

The Garmin Connect card is not needed for G3X systems. It is intended mainly for certified systems although it may be needed for experimentals that have hybrid systems.

So using your example the G3X, not being a TSO IFR navigator, should not be allowed to upload to the GTN-650 as well.

Up loading a flight plan from ForeFlight has nothing to do with IFR TSO certification. If I fat finger in the flight plan to the GTN-650 there is no FAA guy looking over my shoulder.

This is a simple capabiliy that should be part of the base GTN-650, not an opportunity for Garmin to upsell overpriced add ons - or market the G3X. This aspect of the Garmin business model is example of one reason why I look to SkyView instead of the G3X.

For $950 I’ll just continue to manually load the flightplan into the GTN-650 when IFR or use the SkyView wifi connection when VFR to upload the flight plan. Not hard, just an irritation knowing Garming could add this capability to the base GTN-650 for just a few dollars.

Carl

It is optional for the Skyview, $35

It is built into the G3X Touch, included in base price

It is not built into the GTN or the GNS because they were not designed with built in BlueTooth so they sell an add on to enable it.

~$10,000 for the GTN650 + $1000.00 for the FlightStream 210 (only needed with non G3X Touch Systems) = $11,000

It is built into the Avidyne IFD but they charge more for that ability as well.

~$12,399 for the IFD440 (from the Avidyne Website)

Last edited:

An important difference -- the G3X does not directly upload to the GTN, rather it sends the flight plan to the GTN more or less as a message. Once the GTN receives the flight plan, the GTN requires the pilot to accept the flight plan on the GTN. A little clunky, perhaps, but it does get around the TSO/non-TSO issue.

Somebody will undoubtedly correct me if I don't have all my facts completely straight... :)

Ed

Hello Carl,

As others have said, each GDU in a G3X Touch system has built-in wireless interfaces (and a video interface), and require no external devices to perform these functions. Additonally, each GDU in a G3X Touch system has a built-in high performance WAAS GPS receiver.

The PFD display in a G3X Touch system takes the place of the FlightStream 210 and supports bi-directional flight plan transfer from external devices to both the G3X Touch displays and the GTN/GNS navigators using Garmin Pilot and ForeFlight (possibly others), and some Garmin portables.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

Thank you for the improvements you guys continue to make, and the service you provide. It?s clear to me that you really listen and care about the feedback you get from customers. This thread has been very helpful to me, and I love flying behind the G3X Touch system.

With your help I was able to work out two-way flight plan transfer between the GTN 650 and ForeFlight via the G3X, thank you.

One more question, does the GTN 650 not remember its flight plan when the power is cycled, do I need to reload it from the iPad when I stop for fuel or lunch?

I file IFR on the iPad with ForeFlight. ATC often updates the flight plan through foreflight prior to departure. Get in the plane, and upload to G3X, transfer to GTN650 from there. The whole thing works remarkably well, even updating enroute ATC changes made on the G3X big screen back to foreflight and the GTN. I just did a 9.5hr each way IFR trip to Maine much of it IMC. Garmin made it a piece of cake for this IFR newbie. New York?s constant route changes (seriously...every ATC hand off seemed to have a route change) were no big deal after I figured out how to input victor airways.

You amaze me Garmin....

Hello,

oc1Pm5OF-wCirnZjNo2xIMpv5PXfYDrTgoR8ygX5cQCOJKA1fonHvczdfbf9bNDZUTLdEUQZbauRTeaVH0QJRB-dCBHbdnJEK2UORbTNSwa10qdMX__1UZMYiExef30K7qVuBvT2066z_XxaUoIH6K6C2Wev-BNhHfyJu6aPrydmrjK5JR-Xw8PU39qSAcrbqNm9ApzB5Ggo1ECmZZvB_9iUwHVnhRQvLXQFL2eggdHeHb6OZGs9Y4pQn90bcu0o7b5YiOaTesYdQZk8uDWXm0FCyIiRfNtKwG4ksjIEfOKx06cQCD6r_IQUeCZ2LUlmWv5H_n9dH-GXX1CAxB5sADk_zE0Bf5NQVxS5gI-ejN7M7EA0bPzhwy0VvUh0_upyfKZ-woJ-InnTdWLNxLzfrJs-b3t4m8ayNOWb2tpaoGkY9SJumECUQnNnmkzzl8ScdMayh0fXIjG29UQV_8FbPclE0mingquaDB7L0iqHh_x1yStggcjAkmo848Ib_fVDlMHO5me5lQ3Ue23iLK4SgJZKzCWLFQKhOGG9CHoVGF-sjqVwhVV7oow8GHmc3BCZvR0awAwmcc6AiLZ39KD34eBxRXxG4l3kat29JtJ4GLdKmLljVUWB=w507-h550-no

Thanks,
Steve

On my flight yesterday I tried this and I would see the option of "Send to Navigator" which was my IPAD Garmin pilot but would not see the "Send to GTN"
I disconnected from the IPAD and still did not see this option. Is this another configuration mismatch or it was due to the fact that I had first connected to IPAD?

I do see all the flight plans on G3X if they are created on 650 with no issues.

Dynon Skyview Touch vs. Flightstream 510 with GTN650

I use foreflight to transfer flight plans to my Skyview Touch, but unable to the GTN 650. Considering the FS510 to do that for me. I fly IFR a fair amount.

Curious how the two systems would work together? Anyone had experience with this? As I understand the FS 510 uses bluetooth to transfer flight plans, where the Dynon Skyview uses Wifi. How does the interface with Foreflight handle this?

Thanks!

Jeff Linebaugh
[email protected]
F1 Rocket N166JR
San Diego, CA

My Foreflight up loads directly to the GTN because that is what I choose on the Bluetooth. When a change is made to my flight plan it sends the updated flight plan to the ipad foreflight and it asks you if you want to update the foreflight on the I pad. I use a these features all the time.

Tim

thanks Tim...is there a distinction in Foreflight between passing the flight plan to the Dynon panel vs. Garmin 650 is what I am curious about... ?

Back