What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV fly-in March 8th 2014 SE of ATL

brianwallis

VAF moderator
Catered, donations accepted for food. 62GA Seven Lakes (not GA62) 122.9 land to the North, takeoff to the South. Parking at north end of strip. Just shy of 3k grass. 4 miles west of base of Lake Jackson. South of Covington and halfway between ATL and Macon. Will have transportation to town if anything needed. Family friendly. Bring your own dish for judging. 10am till it ends... private field. Raffle with prizes. PM ME PLEASE TO RSVP :) Will try and have some version of redneck Olympics for a contest. COMSINK gave approval, race in the works, stay tuned. (Bikini contest terminated by COMSINK) Race details, it will be a timed event. Stopwatch starts, plot route (short) to secret destination, estimate time, fly and recover. Stopwatch stops when wheels stop turning. (Destination known at this time, photo required of certain object) Winners shall be based on how close the planned time is to the actual time. (Private airfield-pilots assume all risk)
Best,
Brian
PM if any questions

Last edited:
I'll do it for charity...

A while back, a young man passed away, if I remember correctly it was the Grandson of the Averys. Julian maybe? If we put 2,000.00 in the pot for charity, I'll wear a bikini and pose with the winner's airplane. You have my word. The money has to go to the charity that the Avery's support. (I think it is a cancer charity)
Best,
Brian

A while back, a young man passed away, if I remember correctly it was the Grandson of the Averys. Julian maybe? If we put 2,000.00 in the pot for charity, I'll wear a bikini and pose with the winner's airplane. You have my word. The money has to go to the charity that the Avery's support. (I think it is a cancer charity)
Best,
Brian

Little Brother,
I believe it's the Make-a-Wish Foundation...but somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't have an airplane to judge, but I'd be willing to make a $100 donation just to see you in said bikini. I'm available to lend a helping hand with whatever you need, and I'll bring my camera to get pictures for posterity...and so that DR can publish the bikini picture on the front page.... :D

Little Brother,
I believe it's the Make-a-Wish Foundation...but somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't have an airplane to judge, but I'd be willing to make a $100 donation just to see you in said bikini. I'm available to lend a helping hand with whatever you need, and I'll bring my camera to get pictures for posterity...and so that DR can publish the bikini picture on the front page.... :D

Gentlemen, the gauntlet has been thrown, it is officially a charity fly-in!!!
Whoever donates the most decides if I wear the bikini or not ;) but I'll still wear it for the photo session. Maybe we can get one of those big checks I can stand behind.... ;)

Last edited:
Phew

As long as it goes towards charity, I promise not to take it as an insult :) I'll admit the word svelte does not come to mind....

Make a wish

Any charity money for this event will be for the local Make A Wish foundation. I'll take cash but would much rather have checks made out to them directly if at all possible.
Make-A-Wish® Georgia
1775 The Exchange SE
Suite 200
Atlanta, GA 30339

Last edited:
Driving Directions

Take 75 south from Atlanta exit 205, left for 8.5 miles to center of Jackson on 16. Turn left on Covington St (36) for 0.6 miles, bear right on Stark Rd for 3.2 miles, rt on Singley Rd, rt onto taxiway, tan and green hangar on rt past red and white hangar. North of Macon, South of Atl

Last edited:
Take 75 North from Macon, right for 8.5 miles to center of Jackson on 16. Turn left on Covington St (36) for 0.6 miles, bear right on Stark Rd for 3.2 miles, rt on Singley Rd, rt onto taxiway, tan and green hangar on rt past red and white hangar.

See above....FIXED :)

If I can stand not working on my panel Saturday I might wander up that way....

Fly in

I plan to be there, looking forward to it! BTW, if anyone who plans to be there could let go of (2) MS21055-L3 nut plates and (5) open barrel Molex pins for 26 guage wire it would be greatly appreciated. I can replace them later or purchase them or give you a ride in my plane. Thank you

Condition of strip?

Brian

any idea what the condition of the strip will be after this rain?

I plan to be there, looking forward to it! BTW, if anyone who plans to be there could let go of (2) MS21055-L3 nut plates and (5) open barrel Molex pins for 26 guage wire it would be greatly appreciated. I can replace them later or purchase them or give you a ride in my plane. Thank you

Why not stop at ACS on the way?

Catering is confirmed

Field is good, catering is confirmed, suggest 1 flyby to North prior to ldg. Chow starts at 11:30. Please feel free to bring a dish to share even though catering will be here. Meat, 2 sides, dessert and tea provided. I'll bring a plethora of different drinks.
Best,
Brian

Last edited:
62GA fly in

Going to try to get down by lunch time. Assuming your field is OK, the problem may be my field! DRRhodes RV9 N908DR

Good gravy, I do not know how I missed this thread! I would have shown up with a foldable oversized check just for the bikini photo. Dangit! Glad you had a good turn out.

(Took my own COMSINK out today for some RV instruction: heavy iron girl keeps forgetting to look outside!)

Glad I got to stop by and meet you! Sorry I was so late, had to take the boss to cedar key for lunch! Let me know when your around will go fly! I'm at Tara (4a7) 5 days a week if I'm not flying for work I've got a full shop come up.

Chris

Wow!!!

My pleasure!!! Thanks for letting me be part of the airshow!!!! Gotta get that smoke system in ASAP!! Somebody please post some pics!!! :D

Last edited:
Great day for some RV n

Thanks Brian for setting up and inviting us down to Seven Lakes for lunch. The Meal was great. Enjoyed meeting some of the VAF supporters and having very enjoyable day. Sorry I missed the formation flyover but needed to get back. Thanks again

Dennis, you are awesome!

It was our pleasure, we ended up having 3 waves of people. We had tons of fun. The burbon pork, peach cobbler and green beans were fantastic and supplied by the mustard seed restaurant in town. Make a wish made some money and everyone had a great time! Moose shot a ton of pics!

The kids and I had a very nice time yesterday at Seven Lakes! Many thanks to the Wallis family for hosting the fly-in! It's always great to meet new people and talk about airplanes. :)

2en00ox.jpg

qx6mgy.jpg

23t9ix.jpg

28kjbma.jpg

Thank you Brian

Brian,
Thank you for the invite. I hope this picture of your plane works. This is my first attempt at posting a picture.
Marvin McGraw
34djwqs.jpg

2mxiudj.jpg

Last edited:
Make A Wish

Make a wish will be getting 200.00 (and a car if they accept those). Thank you all for your help. Special thanks to Rebel Flight for the airshow and letting me fly with them!

Brian, thanks for the invite, and it was a pleasure to meet you. Regret having to leave so early, but no matter...it was a great day to fly.

My pleasure!!!

It was great to meet you finally Dan, what a sweet ride! Everybody that showed up was fantastic. Moose will post some pics soon. Dan, that thing sounded like a hot rod!!!!
Best,
Brian

Last edited:
Thanks Brian

Enjoyed it. Sorry I missed your post recommending one pass south to north and instead did two passes north to south. Ah well :confused:

Jackson GA Fly-IN, 03-08-2014

As my Little Brother mentioned, I took a sh**....er, a ton of photos. BUT...I need to offer up an apology right up front to my Russian Cousin Vlad. I was halfway home when it hit me...I forgot to take any pictures of the FOOD!! :eek: Sorry about the gaff, buddy. I'll do better next time, promise.

Got to meet Bruce Sacks and Dan Horton in person, and wouldn't you know...they're both just as nice in person as they are here on the forums! Can't wait to hook up with them again sometime soon.

And thanks again, Dan, for taking the time to answer all my questions about your beautiful 8!

So here is a link to the pictures I took, with captions for which airplane belongs to whom (when I was able to find out). I've got it open to the public, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting to it. If you do, though, please let me know. Also, if you see one you want to save for your computer wallpaper (and there's a couple in there that you just might want to), feel free to download it with my compliments. All I ask is that you give me photo credit if you post it somewhere.

https://picasaweb.google.com/rv8rmoose/JacksonGAFlyINMarch82014#

Very nice pictures Bullwi......er..uh...Moose! I think three RV9s at the same place is the current record. We should have put them together for a picture. Are you planning to be at SNF?

Very nice pictures Bullwi......er..uh...Moose! I think three RV9s at the same place is the current record. We should have put them together for a picture. Are you planning to be at SNF?

Thanks, Bruce! It was a great day, had fun meeting you and your kids, and the food was great...even if I didn't get any pictures of it for Vlad! :D

Probably won't make SNF...trips like that don't fit in my current budget. Got to satisfy myself with local stuff for now. Let me know if you're going to do the get-together at your home airport this year and I'll make it a point to come down.

Left totally stoked about RV's

I want to thank Brian for being such a gracious host at the Seven Lakes fly-in. This was my first RV event to see some RV?s and I was totally stoked when I left! As a matter of fact, I was given the opportunity to fly with Bill in his RV-9 to Mallards Landing. I have to say thanks to Gus Hurts for inviting me to fly over in Bill RV-9! As we started down the runway, there was Moose taking the ?money shot? of us running down the runway. Yes, you better believe that is my new computer screen background at home and work. Thanks Moose!
I was very impressed with the friendliness of everyone Barbara and I met. Gus and Bill gave us a tour of neighborhood and introduced us to many of their neighbors. They made us feel as if we were VIP?s.
It was nice to meet Bruce Sacks, Dan Horton (who has a really cool paint job), and everyone else who I have not mentioned.
Ben

I want to thank Brian for being such a gracious host at the Seven Lakes fly-in. This was my first RV event to see some RV?s and I was totally stoked when I left! As a matter of fact, I was given the opportunity to fly with Bill in his RV-9 to Mallards Landing. I have to say thanks to Gus Hurts for inviting me to fly over in Bill RV-9! As we started down the runway, there was Moose taking the ?money shot? of us running down the runway. Yes, you better believe that is my new computer screen background at home and work. Thanks Moose!
I was very impressed with the friendliness of everyone Barbara and I met. Gus and Bill gave us a tour of neighborhood and introduced us to many of their neighbors. They made us feel as if we were VIP?s.
It was nice to meet Bruce Sacks, Dan Horton (who has a really cool paint job), and everyone else who I have not mentioned.
Ben

Ben,
Welcome to VAF! It was great meeting you too, and I'm glad you had a great time at the fly-in.

Welcome Ben!

You and your wife were most gracious. Welcome to the good ship VAF! Ben and his wife were both there at the start of the fly-in and helped set up. We had just arrived from the local big box store with tables, chairs and all the other party items. They graciously helped us set up and prepare for the big day. Happy you enjoyed yourselves!!!! Best of luck finding which RV will be yours!!!

Back