What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Managing Database Updates - G3X Touch

AlexPeterson

Well Known Member
I am curious how others manage updating their databases, particularly the data heavy charts.

Specifically, it is perhaps a reasonable practice to update the entire US set of charts once a year, and then just update those charts one thinks they will need at every cycle. However, one needs to budget a long time for the full update, both at home during the download and then at the hangar. It will likely require connecting a battery charger to prevent excessive draws from the aircraft's battery.

Over the past year I've simply updated the charts in the areas I expect to be flying, by choosing which charts to update via the flygarmin site and then installing them via the update manager. Then, the time for the update at the hangar is similar to the pre-flight time, so no big deal.

This morning I noticed the site has changed, and I did not see an option for selecting individual charts. The download is grinding along, and it appears that it is downloading all the charts. I will need to budget a lot of time at the hangar for this update to install in the G3X Touch. Perhaps there is a way in the newly modified flygarmin site to select individual charts for download, but I didn't see it right away.

It would be an extremely nice feature if the unit could update in the background while in flight...

How are others managing this lengthy process?

Over the past year I've simply updated the charts in the areas I expect to be flying, by choosing which charts to update via the flygarmin site and then installing them via the update manager. Then, the time for the update at the hangar is similar to the pre-flight time, so no big deal.

This morning I noticed the site has changed, and I did not see an option for selecting individual charts. The download is grinding along, and it appears that it is downloading all the charts.

Hello Alex,

We apologize that the "chart picker" is not currently being offered as part of the download process with the new website, but it should be available again soon. You are correct that it is currently downloading all charts included in your subscription.

Thanks,
Steve

Won?t download

I noticed this as well. And, I have been unable to download this latest cycle. Has failed to download on a half dozen occasions with a ?try again later? message. I?ll try again when I?m home tomorrow.

It seems to be a Garmin corporate wide issue. My Nuvi (Garmin automotive) is always difficult to update as well. Guess they need to hire some tech guys that know how to develop a simple to use download system.

Scott A Jordan

It would be lovely if only changed charts were included in updates.

My G3X and GTN650 updates have been around 5GB and wiring to 2 SD Cards takes 30+ minutes, then updating in the plane takes 30+ minutes.

Too bad the G3X can't connect to wifi and update itself without needing a computer. The way foreflight does updates now is ideal. Sure you need wifi or a hotpot but I'd sure like an option of doing the update directly on the system.

Too bad the G3X can't connect to wifi and update itself without needing a computer. The way foreflight does updates now is ideal. Sure you need wifi or a hotpot but I'd sure like an option of doing the update directly on the system.

The hardware is in the G3X for Wifi. Garmin just needs to enable it.... Would be really nice!!!

-Dan

Hello Alex,

We apologize that the "chart picker" is not currently being offered as part of the download process with the new website, but it should be available again soon. You are correct that it is currently downloading all charts included in your subscription.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, thanks for the update.
Alex

site updated

i put off loading my charts as I didn't want to work with a file that size.

just downloaded from the flygarmin website. it is now state selectable.

Tom Hanaway

How do I delete maps not needed

Sorry if this is off topic.
I am building an RV-14A here in Australia with dual G3X 10” touch screens. The PFD has the config module and the sysem has current Australian maps loaded.

But the G3X’s came preloaded with US safetaxi Charts and US/Canada Obstacles loaded, and now they are very out of date which causes prompts when I power up.

How do I remove maps for parts of the world I don’t need (no insults intended) from the G3X database please?
Ive checked the manual and forums and cant see how I either delete them or select to ignore their expiry dates.

Last edited:
This is a pretty old thread so i would think the website would allow the ability to filter the downloads by state but I do not see anywhere to do that. Would someone be able to post how that's done?

This is a pretty old thread so i would think the website would allow the ability to filter the downloads by state but I do not see anywhere to do that. Would someone be able to post how that's done?

Good question - there used to be an option to select which sectional charts one wanted to download. That disappeared a year or so ago.

Back