What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Perplexed?

Djgeib

I?m working on my -8 QB fuselage. Drilled the holes for the mid cabin covers and am putting in the nut plates. However, the aft most hole on the right side has put me in a quandary. I have removed the console cover but the angle that it attaches to is preventing me from being able to get a squeezer or my rivet gun in to lay flat on the rivets. Was wondering how others have done this. I have clearance on all the other holes. I?m sure there is a simple solution that has evaded me. Thanks
https://douglasgeib.smugmug.com/N104MG/i-Ds5B4fZ

Just nutplate, no? The nutplate attach rivets are not structural Use countersunk 3/32 pop-type rivet.
Andy

Use the gun

Use a rivet gun and bucking bar.
I don't think you can do the entire plane with just a squeezer.

Couple options

I use clickbond nutplates for locations like this but if want this nutplate I would drill holes to #33 and pop rivet MSP32 rivet on both sides.

For these nutplates that hold panels like this I also recommend tapping the nutplate before riveting it. They can be very tight to get screws in later.

Thanks for the replies. I?ll do it with pop rivets. I knew it would be a simple solution but sometimes when you?re trying to fit rivet guns and squeezers in tight places, frustration gets the best of you and you can?t think clearly. That?s why I get on this forum daily. It?s the best resource out there!

Parallel jaw pliers are your friend. They will squeeze -3 easily and -4 if you have a gorilla grip. If I am doing just a few rivets I will just use these instead of dragging out and adjusting a squeezer.

I remember what a bear these were. Van's instructions recommend using vice grips modified with flat jaws... and just squeeze the heck out of them. I was less than impressed with my own results... but after a bit of touch-up they were adequate rivets for securing nut plates. This is one of those jobs that had me dreaming of inventing the perfect tool for the job...

Squeezer

An Alligator jaw pneumatic squeezer is tremendously useful for these kinds of locations. I was able to find one on e-bay for a descent price after several months of watching. This was probably 12 or 13 years ago...

Skylor
RV-8

Back