VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-30-2012, 01:48 PM

Doug, I too was sorry to hear of your dad's passing. It's very nice to have your family to help out. I'll bet they help with the golf resort too.

On a related family note, recently our youngest son, Blake, graduated from USI (cumma sum laude!) with a marketing degree. Lately he's been bitten by the flying bug and as of May has largely taken over the Flyboy empire. It's great to have him on board and helping out... actually he's doing everything except the fabrication! And that's a LOT!

He's a whiz with the graphics, the computer, learns faster than you can imagine, and is very tech savvy.

Blake's plan is to grow the business until it gives Jim Irwin (ACS) nightmares. I hope he does it!

So, if anyone calls and hears a strange voice on the phone, it's just Blake. I'll be around making parts, as usual, in the unlikely event there are questions that he can't answer.
www.flyboyaccessories.com
RV and Rocket Accessories, Tailwheels, Tools, & More
1-888-8FLYBOY (1-888-835-9269)

F4 Raider - under construction
F1-H Rocket "Crazy Horse" - sold
RV-4 "Chief Pontiac" - sold
Old 08-30-2012, 02:06 PM

Default Doug and Vince (Blake)

I have the Bell tail wheel fork and Blake did the graphics for my paint scheme. You can't go wrong with either fork and both are far superior to what comes with the kit.

Vince and Blake are super to work with if you're in the planning stages of your paint scheme. They have lots of other goodies too!

I highly recommend these guys.
"Bucket List" checkoff in progress!
Old 08-30-2012, 04:55 PM

Anybody out there making titanium tailwheel stingers?
Old 08-30-2012, 07:08 PM

Default Tailwheel

Question about titanium stinger , I know it would be lighter (not good on most 8's) but what is the spring properties of titanium ? I have a great hightec machine shop next to me and having small runs is not a problem.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:44 PM

I think the lightweight titanium tailwheel stingers would mostly benefit those of us with aft cg issues (e.g.wood props, O-320 engines), but if I could find find one for the $200-250 range, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:06 PM

Titanium's springiness is 16/29 that of steel, size for size. This is the ratio of the Young's Modulus, or modulus of elasticity of the two materials, 29 million psi for steel and 16 million psi for titanium.

This means that for the same size, a titanium spring will deflect 181% that of the steel spring.

Titanium's density is in the same ratio. That is, its density is .16 pounds per cubic inch, compared to steel's .29.

Titanium comes in a variety of alloys and heat-treatments. The popular and available Ti-6Al-4V, annealed, has an ultimate strength of around 130,000 psi. This might be considerably lower than a heat-treated steel part. If you know the steel part alloy and heat treatment, you can easily design a titanium replacement. Otherwise it's harder.

Dave
Old 08-31-2012, 05:21 PM

Default Stinger

I will get with the machine shop guy and run this by him . Will report back .
Old 05-27-2017, 04:57 PM

Default API still in business?

I have always had great response from Aviation Products, Ojai, CA. But for several weeks, can't get anyone to answer. Trying to order a replacement T/W.
Thanks