What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smart Beacon settings

RV7A Flyer

Well Known Member
Patron
New to APRS...have the Byonics RTG thingie...looking for good/best settings for the Smart Beacon configuration (and any other settings) to capture maneuvers well, while not blasting the system with unnecessary packets while en route.

Anyone have some suggested settings that have worked well for them?

TIA!

New to APRS...have the Byonics RTG thingie...looking for good/best settings for the Smart Beacon configuration (and any other settings) to capture maneuvers well, while not blasting the system with unnecessary packets while en route.

Anyone have some suggested settings that have worked well for them?

TIA!

Guess you could try the stickie in the APRS forum titled "How to Configure Your APRS Tracker": :)

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=31660

Enjoy your tracker!

Have mine set to the setting suggested by Sam in the thread referenced above.

Works better than great.

Yes, I saw that thread and read through the whole thing. I also saw the arguments over the settings for Smart Beaconing in there, and I saw that the original post was 10 years old, so just thought I'd see if the questions were ever resolved and/or if anyone had more recent information or settings or anything.

I'll set it per the settings in your post, Sam...thanks...

If you follow Sam's suggestions on setting up your tracker, you won't go wrong. I set mine up per his instructions, and after 4-5 years, I haven't needed to change a thing.

Welcome aboard! Glad to see another user of the APRS system. :)

Yes, I saw that thread and read through the whole thing. I also saw the arguments over the settings for Smart Beaconing in there, and I saw that the original post was 10 years old, so just thought I'd see if the questions were ever resolved and/or if anyone had more recent information or settings or anything.

I'll set it per the settings in your post, Sam...thanks...

Actually....it is five years old. :)

Turn off the tracker when you are doing formation practice or just flying in circles (or doing laps in the pattern) and nobody will have a legitimate reason to complain.

Back