What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New feature on aprs.fi; time stamps

Sam Buchanan

been here awhile
Poking through the aprs.fi blog revealed a new filter feature that has been added to the server software:

"In addition to the old filtering methods, out-of-order and duplicate packets are now filtered using APRS timestamps embedded in the packets. If a packet comes in that has an older timestamp than the previous packet, it is promptly discarded. This should be a very effective duplicate filter when timestamps are transmitted by the tracker."

This may very well take care of most of the "red error" packets we sometimes see due to digis and iGates buffering packets. It will, however, require a small programming change on our tracker.

In order to activate time stamps in the tracker, MIC-E encoding must be turned off. This isn't a problem, I've been tracking successfully without MIC-E for a couple of years. This means your packet will be a few micro-seconds longer in duration since the position reports will not be compressed via the MIC-E protocol. The upside, besides supporting time stamps, is that you can see the actual position report in each packet in plain language.

Here is an example of an uncompressed packet from my tracker:

2011-08-06 11:19:27 CDT: N399SB>APT311,WIDE2-1,qAR,KI4GVH-1:!3420.36N/08652.48W'168/147/A=002706/KJ4CKK

Notice the text which I bolded that shows lat/long, speed, altitude and callsign in plain language instead of the usual MIC-E generated weird symbols. Cool!

When you uncheck MIC-E, check the "Timestamp HMS" box in the configuration window:

tracker_config.jpg

Might as well go ahead and check "Only Send Valid" while you are at it. This will prevent the tracker from sending GPS data that is corrupted or incomplete.

By the way, I have my tracker set to transmit the Status Text (which is my FCC callsign) every packet so the aprs police can't accuse me of not ID'ing my tracker properly. ;)

Timestamp HMS stands for hour, minute, second. MIC-E must be disabled because time stamps can't be transmitted via MIC-E compression.

I haven't had a chance to add timestamping to my tracker yet but will do so as soon as possible. This should eliminate the packet errors from buffered packets. Let's give it a try and see how it works. This could be a huge upgrade in the reliability of our tracks.

Last edited:
Woah Woah Woah!! Slow down...Vlad is just now getting the DigiPath corrected. You're going to give him an ulcer!!:D

APRS timestamp update

Tweaked the tracker config this evening and made a short test flight with the time stamp enabled. Worked like a charm (time stamp in bold, 23:24:17 zulu):

2011-08-12 18:24:18 CDT: N399SB>APT311,WIDE2-1,qAR,KN4CI-10:/232417h3442.98N/08658.69W'176/146/A=001945/KJ4CKK

Interesting to note the aprs.fi server time stamp is only ONE SECOND behind the beacon time stamp, didn't take long for the beacon to transit from tracker to aprs.fi via the iGate!

Last edited:
I-Gate Setup

Tweaked the tracker config this evening and made a short test flight with the time stamp enabled. Worked like a charm (time stamp in bold, 23:24:17 zulu):

2011-08-12 18:24:18 CDT: N399SB>APT311,WIDE2-1,qAR,KN4CI-10:/232417h3442.98N/08658.69W'176/146/A=001945/KJ4CKK

Interesting to note the aprs.fi server time stamp is only ONE SECOND behind the beacon time stamp, didn't take long for the beacon to transit from tracker to aprs.fi via the iGate!

Sam,

Which server or servers are you sending your I-Gate traffic too, to give you the one second difference? I have mine setup for newengland.aprs2.net, noam.aprs2.net and finally texas.aprs2.net.

Sam,

Which server or servers are you sending your I-Gate traffic too, to give you the one second difference? I have mine setup for newengland.aprs2.net, noam.aprs2.net and finally texas.aprs2.net.

The beacon I referenced from my tracker didn't go through my iGate so I don't have any idea which server was used by the station.

Use whichever one(s) is reliable for you.

Sam,
Would you mind posting a Screen Shot of your current configuration so we could, er..., uh, study it? ;-)

I changed my configuration on my new RTG-FA today and I think I have it like I want it, but I may play around with some variables. The Screen Shot you show at the beginning of this thread does not appear to be what you're describing in your narrative. Also, the configuration table for the RTG-FA has a slightly different format. I think my version is ver.1.4, but I'd have to verify that.

Don

Sam,
Would you mind posting a Screen Shot of your current configuration so we could, er..., uh, study it? ;-)

I changed my configuration on my new RTG-FA today and I think I have it like I want it, but I may play around with some variables. The Screen Shot you show at the beginning of this thread does not appear to be what you're describing in your narrative. Also, the configuration table for the RTG-FA has a slightly different format. I think my version is ver.1.4, but I'd have to verify that.

Don

The screen shot is indeed an original config but the post that contains it provides detailed info about the changes I made to incorporate time stamps. The config with time stamp and no MIC-E is working very nicely and I have no reservations about recommending it.

I'm still flying a MT-8000 so don't know if my software would look like yours.

Back