What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Canopy Seal Installation

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
When is the rear Canopy Seal installed (C-01450)? On 38-26 you are suppose to install the retainer seals and tighten down "Zone 1", then tighten down Zone 2--canopy rails. Then on 38-33 it says to install the rear canopy seal and tighten down the screws and nuts in Zone 3. But says nothing about Zone 1. I assume that Zone 1 is loosened and the seal is inserted into the entire assembly, then one tightens zone 1 and then zone 2.

Maybe I am over thinking this.

Ken

When is the rear Canopy Seal installed (C-01450)? On 38-26 you are suppose to install the retainer seals and tighten down "Zone 1", then tighten down Zone 2--canopy rails. Then on 38-33 it says to install the rear canopy seal and tighten down the screws and nuts in Zone 3. But says nothing about Zone 1. I assume that Zone 1 is loosened and the seal is inserted into the entire assembly, then one tightens zone 1 and then zone 2.

Maybe I am over thinking this.

Ken

Just follow the plans - they fit fine when the time comes to insert.

I understand about following the plans. If I were to follow the plans, then I would not be able to insert the rear seal, since "zone 1" is already tightened down on 38-26 Step 18. The plans never state the following, which I assume you have to do:

Step 1. Loosen the hardware in "Zone 1", then install the 1450 rear seal. Push the rear seal as far forward as possible, then carefully retighten "Zone 1" (page 38-27) starting in the center and working out symmetrically from the center. Use caution to prevent canopy cracking due to over tightening.
Step 2. Carefully tighten the screws/nuts in "Zone 3" as called out on 38-27 symmetrically from the center out. Use caution to prevent canopy cracking due to over tightening.
Step 3. Trim the bottom ends of the 1450 rear seal as shown in Figure 1.

The way the plans are written the the options are: (1)the rear seal is only installed in Zone 3 (Figure 1 on 38-33 does not show this ;-), (2) the seal was supposed to be installed in Step 16 on 38-26, or (3) the steps should really be what I stated above.

I know the plans leave things out the further you go along, but again on 38-08:

CAUTION: On this and on the subsequent pages, follow the canopy Frame Assembly instructions EXACTLY.......

Not sure where that caution statement stops in section 38.

Again, I might be over thinking this and it does not matter or I just missed the part where Zone 1 was loosened.

I haven't taken the time to read through all of the plans pages in this section to get an understanding of what you are not understanding, but the aft canopy seal can be inserted even if all the screws attaching the C-01446 have been fully tightened.

I haven't taken the time to read through all of the plans pages in this section to get an understanding of what you are not understanding, but the aft canopy seal can be inserted even if all the screws attaching the C-01446 have been fully tightened.

This is what I was trying to say - the washers act as perfect standoffs for the seal to slip right into place.

thanks for that last reply Turner. I thought that I might be missing something. I read everything correctly. I did not look at the diagram in close enough. I had the washers in the wrong side of the seal retainer. Once I saw "standoff" in the last post, I realized my mistake.

So even though I feel like an idiot, had I not posted I would have eventually figured it further down the road and would have been really annoyed.

I still can't figure out why one would flip the canopy up side down to do this step.

thanks again.

The washers are beveled because I think that they are punched out. Put them on the screws so that the bevel is away from the screw head--the high point (inside lip) is out. The lip of the inside edge will catch on the thread of the screws when the washers are tilted. This will keep them in place. Then put on the the seal retainer (1446) starting at the top center. Get the 1446 to the point where 3-4 screws are engaged and put on nuts, just so they stay in place. It took no more than 5-10 minutes per side to get all the nuts in place. I only had 1 washer fall off, but it was easy to get back on.

Of the things that I have had to do to this point for the plane, this was easy. Much easier than flipping the canopy upside down. Especially when doing this by yourself.

Back