What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Performance Numbers

jswareiv

Well Known Member
Just curious if anyone has heard if Van's is going to publish performance numbers with the IO-360 for the taildragger, or wait until someone has an IO-390. I checked the website after reading Paul Dye's article in Kitplanes and it still does not have any numbers. Great article by the way.

Last edited:
RV-14 performance

Hopefully Vans is too busy getting the FWF kit done and doesn't have time to post more performance numbers :D

One thing in the KP article caught my attention though. Paul Dye noted that CHTs were running around 300F in the summer, and that Rian Johnson at Vans thought he could improve performance by reducing cooling air. This makes sense as it's perfectly acceptable to have CHTs in the upper 300s (it's not uncommon to see over 400F during climbout on warm day in most other RV models).

So now I'm curious as to what Vans will change. You've got to restrict air coming into or out of the cowl, or preferably both. I'm wondering if they'll go to the trouble of creating a new mold for the cowl. It might be easier to change the cooling exit tunnel design a bit to restrict outflow, but for best performance improvement the cowl inlets probably need to be downsized a bit too.

Another unrelated thing in the KP article that I noticed in the demo aircraft at Oshkosh is how slow the flap actuation is. Much slower than my RV-8. From the parts list it looks to be the same actuator as the -10, but the article implied there may be a faster solution in the works at some point. Hopefully it's a drop-in replacement actuator and doesn't require new weldments or other significant changes.

Back