What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 aileron bearing

Junk8

Hello group, I installed the bearings in the aileron brackets last night. It took a lot more force than I had anticipated. The bearing now move very stiffly. Did anyone else encounter this and how much did your bearings tighten up? I could move the inner ball around with finger pressure before installation but now I have use a rod or bolt for leverage. Any advice. Thanks

I used the sockets and a vise. It didn't really seem like much pressure but the vise can be deceiving. Mine still operate smoothly after install. Any chance you damaged race or seal with your socket?

I may suggest to remove the bearing, finess the the hole and reinstall. the bearing should feel right after install. Mine were tight, I pushed them back out enlarged the hole and it worked out just fine. Larry

Thanks, I'll try pressing them out and reinstalling if they still move freely. Should have stopped and evaluated after first one was hard.

I had the same problem

I had a slight warp in the bracket. the edges were straight but there was just enough twist to cause the bearing to bind.

Back