What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Change

jswareiv

Well Known Member
I noticed there is a change to Section 38 and there are two alignment pins added on the side of the canopy. There isn't an explanation of why this is necessary. Has there been an issue in flight because of the size of the canopy? I haven't had any alignment issues with my canopy coming down to the exact same place every time. Also, is this something that Van's is recommending we do to our canopies that are complete? It does say to add it to a finished canopy... Has anyone heard of an issue?

canopy alignment..

haven't heard of any issues, but I'm looking for the 38-RF document they reference and my searches don't turn anything up....any idea where this may be?

Last edited:
After building the second prototype, a minor issue was detected that never occurred in the first one (trigear).

At high speed (decent with power on... well into the yellow arc range), the curved sides of the canopy are inducing an outward flex in the canopy frame that changes the shape enough to change the state of the canopy latched switch. This flexing movement had been detected in the tri-gear airplane but it wasn't enough to cause a problem (or activate the switch). For some reason on the tail dragger, it has.

The simple pins totally resolve the flexing issue.

I believe the 38-RF (for retrofit) document will be sent out to builders who have finish kits with canopy frame parts that do not have the holes prepunched in them, when they are shipped the parts.

Last edited:
Retrofit

After building the second prototype, a minor issue was detected that never occurred in the first one (trigear).

At high speed (decent with power on... well into the yellow arc range), the curved sides of the canopy are inducing an outward flex in the canopy frame that changes the shape enough to change the state of the canopy latched switch. This flexing movement had been detected in the tri-gear airplane but it wasn't enough to cause a problem (or activate the switch). For some reason on the tail dragger, it has.

The simple pins totally resolve the flexing issue.

I believe the 38-RF (for retrofit) document will be sent out to builders who have finish kits with canopy frame parts that do not have the holes prepunched in them, when they are shipped the parts.

Thanks for the explanation Scott. Looks like a retrofit is in the cards.

38-RF Canopy Pins

I have arrived at that stage in the Canopy Frame construction where the 38-RF comes into play. My parts are not pre-drilled for the pins, so 38-RF will apply to me. I understand that if I had already completed the canopy, I would have to do a retrofit, and that if I had a "new" kit, the parts would be drilled and I could just proceed.

My dilemma is whether to wait for 38-RF to be shipped/received before assembling the sides of the canopy frame, or proceed with the build (and retrofit later). Anybody seen the side pin parts? Should I wait to make drilling easier, or is it a no-brainer after-the-fact and I should build on?

I have used the process to retrofit both the tri gear and tail dragger prototypes.
If the instructions are followed it is easy to accomplish after the canopy is completed.

Thanks, Scott. "Build on" it is.

Anybody opting for "wait and see" and leaving the pins until after flight?

Back