What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nut and washer for AN623 screw

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I want to put a AN623-2 screw in where my buggered HS rivet was.

What is the right washer/nut to put in there? is there a proper torque?
I think #19 is the right drill to make the proper hole.

I want to put a AN623-2 screw in where my buggered HS rivet was.

What is the right washer/nut to put in there? is there a proper torque?
I think #19 is the right drill to make the proper hole.

For 6-32 screws we generally use #27 holes.
#19 holes are for 8-32 screws.

To follow best practices, when a screw is used in a load baring situation, it is best to use a screw that will have a portion of unthreaded shank baring on the parts, like this AN525-R7 screw.

You didn't say what location the rivet was that you were replacing, so it is very likely that this 8-32 screw would be way over kill compared to the strength of the original rivet, but it is best practice. Particularly if the loads are not known.
Unfortunately, I am not aware of any structural screws (screws with some un-threaded shank) that are smaller than #8's.

As far as nut and washer goes... any appropriate self locking nut and flat washer would be fine. If a structural screw is used, a proper length, and/or use of washers (3 maximum) to assure that the nut doesn't shank out (run out of threads and begin threading onto the shank).

Torque values are very low. for #6 they are lower than most people have tools to properly measure. For #8, 15-18 inch pounds is a good range (also lower than most people have tools to properly measure).

Most builders/mechanics over torque small sized fasteners when not using a torque measuring tool. Making it more complicated is accounting for the prevailing torque of the locking feature in a nut or nutplate.

Last edited:
Back