What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-01442 Lower draglink fitting.

salto

Well Known Member
The lower draglink fitting pg 29-03 concerns me from a corrosion point of view. Fitted with rivets in place it acts like a bathtub. Being close to the outer skin it has a high chance of getting moisture in it which can't then drain.
A couple of options are possible :
1. Drill an 1/8 drain hole inboard and to the rear or,
2. as we do in the spar joining areas that could hold moisture on the Airtractor fill with linseed based builders putty.
Has anyone any thoughts on this?
Thanks

If it actually did have a high chance of getting moisture in it, I would agree, but I don't think it does.

Short of being parked outside during a downpour with the canopy open (even then I am not convinced it would collect water in this location) I don't think water will pool in the drag fitting. The only way water typically enters the belly area (and the main reason there are pre-punched drain holes in the belly skins) is when water enters the aft tail cone area (around the emp. fairing, etc.) and then runs fwd.

We get our fair share of rainy flight conditions here in the pacific north wet, and we haven't seen evidence of this being a problem.

Back