What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gascolator

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Anyone tackle installing a gascolator in the RV-14 yet? I'm stuck with having to due to Canadian regs.

Ron
Not there yet but it will be firewall mounted, likely low on the the right side. In anticipation of this I omitted the supplied cabin fuel filter. It is an odd little assembly and it is not going to easy to service. Service will require removal from the aircraft. There is no way to inspect this filter for blockage without removal. If it plugs you lose both tanks!
As for gascolators, my preference is the Van's blue unit. I currently have an Andair unit in my rocket and have found it not worth the extra $.
Gascolators are used in almost all certified aircraft. Although they have some limitations in RVs, ie not the lowest spot in the system, they provide a method of sampling which inline filters do not.

Last edited:
The inline filter has more square inches of filter area than any of the gascolators do so any contamination issue that will be a problem for the in-line filter, will likely be an even bigger problem for the gascolator.

There are positives and negatives to both filtering methods...

A gascolator induces more heat exposure on the fuel system, and depending on the installation can induce more risk of system breach in a crash, but it is easier to service.

The inline method reduces heat exposure and provides filtration upstream of all pumps and flow sensors, but it is more challenging to service (though once you learn to shut the engine down by starving with the fuel valve it is no big deal).

Scott
I totally agree with you regarding the heat exposure of having the gascolator firewall forward. In my current plane and other RVs and rockets I have mounted the unit aft of the firewall and in some cased provided a nice access door in the fuselage bottom. However the RV14 has that really nice stainless steel cooling air exhaust tunnel and it complicates a centreline gascolator installation. Putting it off to either side would just make a nice simple system too complicated.
Thus, for simplicity sake, firewall forward makes sense here and a cooling blast tube could be added if required.

gascolator

The gascolator in my present aircraft, being at the low point of the fuel system, seems to be where most of the moisture (water) accumulates and is something I check and drain before every flight. How would this moisture be handled in the no-gascolator case?

In over 20 years of RV types finding any water is a rare event. When it happens I typically find it in the wing sumps, which are the low point; at least in a tail dragger it is. The amounts I am talking about are a few small drops of water. I have also found a drops of water in the gascolator even though it is not the low point in the system. Finding anything is a bit of a surprise, and I think this demonstrates how good the quality of US and Canadian 100LL is.
The only time I have ever found significant water was in my Citabria 25 years ago when I was burning car gas. That ended the use of car gas in airplanes for me!!

Last edited:
gascolator

glad to hear it's so rare.

I do remember, several years ago, gassing up from a fuel truck on a rainy, slushy winter day in Idaho. Later, when I pulled the sump drain on the gascolator in Missoula the water beaded up on the ground, and we must have taken a couple of cups of water from the wing and gascolator. Don't know how the engine stayed running, but for years after that I sumped the drain whenever I gassed up

Under the Wing Root Fairings

On some RV's the wing root, allows space for one andair gascolator per side, with the use of flex lines. This provides a cool location, with ease of sampling prior to flight. Also on the plus side is that either unit could block and allow you to feed from the other tank. Somebody more gifted than I with searching can find the threads and photos of some of the wing root gascolator installs.

Gascolator in FWF kit?

Scott, since the -14 comes with the inline filter does that mean there will be no gascolator in the FWF kit? I looked back at my pictures of the RV-14 from Oshkosh and can't see a gascolator drain protruding through the cowl anywhere...

Thanks,

Scott, since the -14 comes with the inline filter does that mean there will be no gascolator in the FWF kit? I looked back at my pictures of the RV-14 from Oshkosh and can't see a gascolator drain protruding through the cowl anywhere...

Thanks,

I do not think so but I wish they did as it's a requirement here in Canada.

On some RV's the wing root, allows space for one andair gascolator per side, with the use of flex lines. This provides a cool location, with ease of sampling prior to flight. Also on the plus side is that either unit could block and allow you to feed from the other tank. Somebody more gifted than I with searching can find the threads and photos of some of the wing root gascolator installs.

I'd be curious to hear whether this is something thought possible with the RV-14 ... that's the way i would probably go assuming I can arrange for easy enough access, since you'd normally want to open it up and clean it during annual, and drain it before flight as well ...

A bit of heat

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=60961&highlight=Gascolator+Wing+Roots&page=2

Look for cloud dancers post about mid page on Page#2 ( post #15)

If you search the other specific RV models forums for "Gascolators in Wing Roots" you may find photos of finished installs. There have been some very neat and clean and serviceable installations posted.

Depending on where and how cold you plan on flying..... a bit of heat is not a bad thing. For example, ice crystals can form in LL100 if it is cold enough and those can block a fine enough mesh filter. A gascolator on the firewall can be a lifesaver if ever you did have this situation present itself vs blocked flow if in the wing roots. If a sumer only machine, I am all for the wing root location. You can sample the wing sump drains and the gascolator quick drains with one squat per side.

Some homebuilts have header tanks inside the firewall. The heat muff and cockpitt heat keeps the fuel nice and warm if flying in serious cold temps -20C and colder.

Best of Luck

tech info welcome!

Nice of Scott to chime in....but it makes me wonder if the inline is considered a 'pre-filter' at x microns, and the gascolator would be the final filter? ( carb'd)

....or is the screen size not that relevant if we are only talking water?

( am I the only one reading this thread that really, really, is having trouble feeling sympathy for guys building -14's?):rolleyes:

Back