What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 20-03; Step 9 (Flute retainer plates)

jeffw@sc47

Well Known Member
Step 9:. . . Para 4:
"Flute in the same direction, bowing the
ADAHRS retainer towards the W-00012A
ADAHRS Mounting Plate as installed. See
Figure 3.
"

It has to be important as it is a part of the directions.

ANALYSIS PARALYSIS set in > if the individual flute on the Retainer (W-00012C) is set with its bend towards the Mounting Plate, the retainer overall bows away from the Mounting Plate (W-00012A) - that is with the fluting tool I normally use, another fluting tool with two additional tooling edges does the opposite. I can't decide if the Retainer overall should bow away from the Mounting Plate or if the individual bows of each flute should bow away. The instruction seems to me that that the overall bow of the length of the retainer should be bowed towards the mounting plate. If it makes a go-no go difference I want to get it right as it would be difficult to adjust later.

Diagrammatic clarification of the edge of the retainer plates in Figure 3 would have cleared this up.

Last edited:
I figured the flute had to be such that the slot created by the retainer and the plate would be affected making the flange of an adahrs sliding into it fit more snugly. So I fluted toward the slot/inside. I held the piece in a vise while doing is so that the piece could not curve too much when I did it.

to fix the flutes

Thanks for replies and suggestions. Could not find the page with the picture of the Dynon ADHRS that made the fluting clear.

After my careful consideration of the instructions and studying it a bit, I did flute them the correct way. I like the trick of putting it in a vise to keep the piece from bending too much.

Agree that, short of an illustration the instruction that is a bit clearer is 'for the "peaks" of the flutes to point toward the plate'.

Last edited:
Back