What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot in Right Wing

Builders,
I'm ready to install the Garmin GMU22 in the left wing. I have the Garmin Pitot with controller and have been reading about the interference with the GMU. What is wrong with putting the pitot in the right wing to eliminate any interference? Would there be a problem putting it in the right wing. I do have the Garmin smart servo going in.

No problem at all. Almost did that myself. Decided that with the roll servo in the right wing that I'd be sending power to the servo far more often than I would to the heated pitot so I stuck with the left wing.

Was a tough decision, the heated pitot will likely emit far more EMI, but should be used less often. However, when used, you are likely in IMC. The roll servo will vary in voltage (creates EMI) as it actuates, but uses far less current and EMI should be significantly less.

Ended up putting heated pitot and magnetometer in left wing with twisted #12 as per Garmin and Vans. Wire is roughly 14" away and perpendicular to magnetometer wire at closest point.

It should be noted that my plane isn't flying yet so I can't report on how my system actually works.

I'm not familiar with the -14. Is there a hole already in the left wing skin for a pitot tube that you'll have to fill?

Dave

I kept my Garmin heated pitot in the left wing, used twisted pair in flex conduit as far away from the GMU as I could route it, and then wrapped mu-metal around the conduit to help shield the GMU from any EMI. I opted to not use the controller model because mounting it just added more complications. My understanding is that any interference, and I doubt there will be, only occurs when turning it on and off as the field builds and collapses. Another reason to not use the controller model. Just be aware that anything you do in the wing root area, like adding conduit, just makes riveting the bottom skins on an order of magnitude harder because you now have a new obstacle to contort your bucking hand around. For me this wasn't trivial so make informed decisions before you do anything off-script.
Having said all that, and for full disclosure, I'm not flying and haven't actually tested this arrangement yet.

. My understanding is that any interference, and I doubt there will be, only occurs when turning it on and off as the field builds and collapses. Another reason to not use the controller model. .

For most avionics, this is true. But the magnetometer is designed to look at the steady-state earth?s magnetic field, so any stray fields-even dc ones-can affect it.
The first time you forget to turn pitot heat off, and then burn your skin when you touch it, you?ll wish you had had the controller! Been there, done that.

Back