VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-08-2019, 10:00 AM

Eddie P:

Yeah I had the same problem with that 1 foot off the runway drop when I trained on Super Decathlons. So I know it's not a -8 thing.

I'm still working on refining the smoothness of touchdown after that last foot or two.

What about short field landings? How do people configure and land on short fields? What approach speeds?
Old 11-08-2019, 10:39 PM

Short field, full flaps 70ish short final, get down low, clear the fence at 65 knots slowing chop the power and land.

2018 VAF Dues Paid
Old 11-09-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
Before we get yet another thread with over a hundred posts, how about we refer to the last one:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=16788

Paul
That worked well, Paul. LOL!

You should know by now that it's no fun to go read another thread, and any effort to herd people to it is doomed to failure. ;-)

I happen to have fallen into the wheel-landing camp in my 300 hours of RV-8 flying. Never had a mishap (thankfully!), but the times I tried to wheel land the plane left me … uncomfortable. No thanks.

Builder: RV-8 "Smokey"
Old 11-17-2019, 06:55 PM

Hi all, I'm about 30 hours into Phase 1 with my RV-8 fixed pitch. I'd like to hear suggestions / advice on shortening up the landing roll. With full flaps and crossing the first brick at just under 70 kt, I usually float maybe 6 or 700 ft, wheel land, and very carefully adding some brake before the tail comes all the way down, then braking moderately. End up eating at least 2000' of runway. Should be able to do better than that.
GTN 625
GNC 255
GTR 20
GTX 45R
G5 x 2

Facebook "log" https://www.facebook.com/BZsRVproject/
Old 11-17-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtZim View Post
Hi all, I'm about 30 hours into Phase 1 with my RV-8 fixed pitch. I'd like to hear suggestions / advice on shortening up the landing roll. With full flaps and crossing the first brick at just under 70 kt, I usually float maybe 6 or 700 ft, wheel land, and very carefully adding some brake before the tail comes all the way down, then braking moderately. End up eating at least 2000' of runway. Should be able to do better than that.
Usually a float like you’re describing is due to extra airspeed on short final and in the flare. In a calm/light wind situation 1.3xs stall speed might be a better target. In a full flap configuration my RV-8 stalls around 45 KIAS. 1.3xs that brings me to 59...I’ll round that to 60 KIAS. When touch down point is critical, that’s what I look to cross the fence with. I’ll carry more in the final turn and rolling out on final.

Figure out what your dirty stall speed is, and if it makes sense try reducing your speed on short final by a few knots. My guess is that will reduce your tendency to float the landing.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:30 AM

Default Go See Bruce

Another recommendation here for Bruce. Went and flew his -8 for a couple hours before taking off in my old -3 and its money well spent.