What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Overhaul info

BruceMe

Well Known Member
Howdy,

I haven't posted in years, but I need to be pointed to overhaul information. I have a very high hour first-run since new O-320. I expect most of the parts are still yellow tag. My plan is to pull it apart, farm-out the tagging and inspection, replace and re-assemble.

- I need to know which shops are best (quality/time/cost) at doing exactly what.
- I remember a VAF article, blogs or site that have this detailed for an O-360. But I can't find it anymore.

Thanks,

-Bruce

Last edited:
Rods and rocker arms to Aircraft Specialties (Tulsa) also. Bundle up all your accessory gears and send them along too.

How much does it typically cost to do your own on a first run if most everything comes back yellow tag? Just curious, would like to plan.

What about the cylinders?

I am helping Bruce with the OH. Where is the best place to send the jugs to have them Overhauled? Also, the engine is a 160hp O-320. We are thinking about higher compression pistons. Any advice there?
Thanks,
Levi

pistons

0 320 H model pistons will increase the compression to around 9-1. Probably 5-6 hp over stock 160 hp. Custom 10-1 pistons are available from several sources. Probably 170 hp with 10-1. PM me if you want more info on 10-1.
New Lyc cylinders are hard to beat when you consider all the new parts that come with the cylinders. Air power in Dallas probably has the best price on new cylinders.
Dart Aircraft in Waco is a good source for ECI ans Superior new parts.

I am helping Bruce with the OH. Where is the best place to send the jugs to have them Overhauled? Also, the engine is a 160hp O-320. We are thinking about higher compression pistons. Any advice there?
Thanks,
Levi

I have dealt with a number of places on cylinder overhauls and have had good luck with Gibson and Chuck Ney. I do my own cylinders now and just have a local shop install seats and guides but I do the rest myself (honing, cutting seats, valves, porting and polishing.)

High Compression pistons

Regarding high compression pistons; I used custom forged 9.5:1 and they've been doing great for close to 800 hrs now.
Judging by several props from both Sensenich and Catto, I appear to be getting over 170 hp.

If I had it to do over again, I probably wouldn't go more than
9:1.
9.5:1 is just not quite as smooth running.

Back