What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Youngest builder?

videobobk

Well Known Member
Friend
Now that we have a couple high school groups building, I started wondering, what was the youngest builder to ever finish an RV? We have a 15 year old supervisor, but I think it should be the person eligible for the repairman certificate. I'm sure we have had kids as young as six work on them, but I don't think that should count. I'll start--I was 63. Anyone beat that?

Bob Kelly

We were both 25 when we started building, and 30 when it flew.
Biggest lifetime achievement so far ;-) wonder what comes next...

rgds, bernie

Ha!

I was 46 when I started building my RV-6 and 39 when I finished it!

I had to read that twice, Mel, before it sunk in. Then I sprayed spittle all over my screen from (literally) laughing out loud. I hadn't quite realized this until you made it so explicit, but a key reason I want to build is to reverse the aging process. Apparently, it works!

--Stephen

I'm 23. Almost finished with the Emp. Hope to be done by 26. Just need to find more money and someplace other than the living room to build...

10 Months Old......

I am building an RV-12 with my dad and my 11 month old has helped with the drill a few times (she was actually 10 months when she helped drill and then tapped the metal with her hands to ensure proper rigidity and deflection displacement). J/K

I started the RV-10 when I was 29 and had the first flight at 32.

Youngest builder

I don't think a group build should qualify. Robbie Grove was one of the youngest individuals I know of. A long time ago.

I started my 7 Just as I turned 22, That was 15 months ago, with a few deployments needed to purchase the big ticket items, I hope to be flying by age 27. No group or partner build for me.

-david

Suprised

I'm suprised at the number of young people building. I got the Preview Plans and a practice kit for my 22nd birthday and a month later ordered the empennage.

Uh..how about 67?

Started in 2007, ready for the engine now:p

Now that we have a couple high school groups building, I started wondering, what was the youngest builder to ever finish an RV? We have a 15 year old supervisor, but I think it should be the person eligible for the repairman certificate. I'm sure we have had kids as young as six work on them, but I don't think that should count. I'll start--I was 63. Anyone beat that?

Bob Kelly

Just getting started

I am 21 and just getting started on an RV-6 (bought stalled out wing and tail kit, tail was finished). Believe it or not, I have been dreaming of building an RV for 10 years! This will be my second airplane, the first was a minimax. It is awesome to have young guys on here. It seems like in general, aviation has shifted to the richer and often older guys. OH, and who knows when I will be flying, but I sure hope it is in this decade!

I started building my 7 when i was 19 (just starting my second year of college), and flew it right after I turned 27.

I also started building Cal Poly's 7A when I was 20. It flew when I was 27, but I was only involved in the first 35% of so of the construction.

Paul

This whole idea of "youngest (anything in aviation)" really strikes me as leading to the wrong motivation. It has been seen with the older girl (i don't think she was an adult by any means) that wanted to sail solo around the world, and one of the eaa/ aopa? magazines did a big enough write up about some young guy that got a pilots license and helicopter rating? at his 18th? birthday.

I started my -7 tail kit at age 23 and will be finished with the fuse kit before 25. Hope to fly during my 26th year :D

Started my first RV8 at 42, flew at 43.
Started my second RV, an RV8A at 45, flew at 47.
Started my third, an RV10 at 50, will fly next week at barely 52.
Plan to start my fourth, an RV12 at 52 later this year.

Pat

I'm 15 and am on the verge of finishing my empenage. I should have the airplane finished well before I'm 20. My dad, having already built a Bearhawk, has helped with some of the 'funner' jobs on my project.

I actually started building way back in 1943! Look at my kitlog beginning to see how that turned out.

Quite few younger people building too. I'm 30 now, started about 3 years ago. Hope to finish this thing while i still AM young! :)

We finished the 10 when I was 33, I'd like to have the 8 flying by the time I'm 37. Time will tell!

I bought a started RV8 wing and emp kit around 3 years ago. I'm now 27 with fuse and finish kit ordered. Can't wait!

Back