What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oxygen System Recommendations?

jswareiv

Well Known Member
Oxygen

I have no mountain experience and will be flying up to Montana this summer. I would like to purchase an oxygen system for the flight in case I have to climb higher than I want to. Any recommendations? It probably won't get much use, but if I need it, I would like it to be available and perform. I can't imagine needing more than a couple of hours for two people. I have a -7. As always, I appreciate the help of the community. Thanks.

Here's what Norm Younie told me about O2:

Go to a medical oxygen supplier and rent a tank ($3/mo) and child's regulator ($15/mo) and buy the oxygen-conserving cannulas for about $30. If you need more than one place, you'll need a tee from the local auto parts store.

Norm says you don't need flow meters if you use the regulator, and he provided the following calibration chart:

11,500ft to 13,500ft .25 liters/min.
13,500ft to 15,500ft .5 liters/min
15,500 to 18,000ft .75 liters/min
above 18,500ft use 1liter/min (supposed to use a mask)

This seems like a good plan for occassional use.

Vern

jswareiv said:
I have no mountain experience and will be flying up to Montana this summer. I would like to purchase an oxygen system for the flight in case I have to climb higher than I want to. Any recommendations? It probably won't get much use, but if I need it, I would like it to be available and perform. I can't imagine needing more than a couple of hours for two people. I have a -7. As always, I appreciate the help of the community. Thanks.

Many options available. Search previous threads.

I heartily recommend the system from Mountain High in Redmond Oregon. A little bit on the expensive side, but I get 30 hours or more out of one fill.

It is so convenient that my wife and I use O2 on almost every flight. We seem less fatigued at the end of the flight.

I also bought the "transfill" setup from Mountain High and fill my tank from a welding O2 bottle for next to nothing.

Love the system!

Duane

I have an AEROX 400 2M & love it. I got the "old style" regulator which makes filling compatable with just about anywhere (welding shop) you want to take it. The M sized tank is 22 cu ft, but it really doesn't take up any more room in the baggage compartment than the D tank (13 cu ft). I'd get the same one if I were to do it again. http://www.aerox.com/

The "old style" regulator was Dan Checkoway's idea. He has some more info/pictures on his web site.

My 2 cents

I love to fly high. On longer trips I like to go up above 11000. Most of the time 13.5 or 14.5. Weather permitting of course. Less traffic upthere and when you have an emergency, you have more time to think and more options. Less Fuel, I hope bigger tail wind too... :p Oxygen has been good to me though I have not used it very long. I do notice that I am less tired at the end of the journey. I sure love it. Before the RV9, I had a C-172. After a long trip (4hrs or more) I just have a splitting headache. On my last 1000 miler, I flew the whole day and I feel great. I attribute it to O2.

I use Aerox

I have the Aerox 400 2D and before I got it I was reluctant to fly much higher than 6500 for extended periods to avoid fatigue. Now I will regularly use it starting at about 5K and you can definately tell the difference after a long trip, you just feel better the whole time and not as tired when you get there. Refill my own tank so it makes it relatively inexpensive to operate after the initial cost. Aerox folks were super nice to work with and if you can wait till the airshow you can get a little discount :D

Go cheaper

I put together a full O2 system with new stuff from Ebay, D tank, regulator and 10 pack of cannulas for $103. It works great. I'm going to get a mustache type cannula soon.

There is one port off the regulator. I have a line coming from the port to a T fitting. I can run two lines if necessary with a passenger, otherwise I keep the second line plugged.

I love to fly high as well. Great view, better fuel economy cooler temps.

Here's a snap of my O2 system mounting.

Stole some good ideas locally, and mounted to existing holes/platenuts. Made out of scrap material.

A more refined design can easily be accomplished by making two identical brackets that mount to the flap housing using the existing vertical screws.

It's easy to reach over and control the regulator and access the fire extinguisher in flight.

Vern

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

Last edited:
Gary Bricker said:
RV7 Guy why are you getting a Mustache cannula. They look very awkward. I am also looking for a system.

They are actually not that bad. But the best part is they use dramatically less O2 than the mask.

Less O2 use

Gary Bricker said:
RV7 Guy why are you getting a Mustache cannula. They look very awkward. I am also looking for a system.

Like Tom said, you use less 02. I've worn them before and they are not bad at all. Remove for pictures!!!

O2 Bottle Location in RV-8

Where do you fellow RV-8 pilots locate your oxygen systems wthout the benefit of the open luggage compartment available in the side-by-side RV's?

Also, what size bottles are used? It would seem that smaller diameter bottles might be easier to use in an 8.

Thanks,

Bill Dube's KillerCycle accident

Hi Guys,

Anybody heard how Bill Dube is doing after his impromptu burnout for the media a couple of days ago, which unfortunately ended up with him hitting a parked car...

If you read this Bill, hope you are ok...and always wear a helmet !

Cheers

martin in Oz

I am giving more thought to buying a supplemental O2 system to help with the high altitudes that we often need to fly at out here in the mountainous areas of the west. There are several manufacturers, each with various options, and it is a little difficult to wade through it all and make a good choice (other than that I think I can say that a nasal cannula system will be the choice rather than a mask arrangement).:confused:

If anyone has gone down this road already and has any recommendations as to manufacturer, cylinder sizing, options, service and support, etc., I would appreciate hearing from you.

Mountain High

The Mountain High delivery system is fantastic. Gives you a squirt of oxygen right when you need it and no waste. Bottles last a long time. Keep an extra 9 volt battery in your pocket or replace before long trips and it works very well. I have two complete systems bought from folks online for between $350 and $450 which is very good pricing compared to new. Have never used the old constant feed system and canula that came with the plane....

Build your own

There have been some lengthy discussions on this. Because the frequency of use is probably only a few times a year, I recommend putting together your own. You can get a new bottle (D size works perfect), regulator and a 10 pack of cannulas for under $125 on Ebay. I have one and it has served me well for over 3 years. I fill it with my neighbors welding O2. Lots and lots of done the same thing.

I second the Mountain High pulse demand system. Tanya and I swear by it. We use it all the time. Usage is so cheap and easy. We fill our own bottle. We spend a lot of time at 12-13000' in the summer to get over the heat and buildups. I didn't realize just how "addicted I was to oxygen" (Gary Zilik) I was until I slept at 8500' for a couple of days and was driven up to 13000' recently. I don't get out much, and that was a first for me. Wow, full-on slurred speech, and not a very happy camper. I can't imagine flying without it, and didn't have to find out why in an airplane. Side note, I had only been out of the great state of Texas a few times before we finished the RV. It sure changes things.
The pulse demand system is great in that it doesn't do a continuous flow that is a waste when you aren't breathing in. Also, for the same reason, it doesn't dry you out like a continuous flow does. It still has settings for flow rate based on altitude. It knows how high you are and how much O2 "should" be needed based on that. Obviously, every person is different and there is no sensor input for pulse ox instrumentation from the human :).

Just a reminder that whatever you get, make sure it's reliable. A pilot crashed his glider into a mountainside about 9,800 MSL in Hawaii this January after achieving about FL280 in mountain wave. It is suspected that his oxygen system had a malfunction, and he suffered hypoxia and subsequent loss of consciousness.

TODR

Back