What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

why higher torque for steel fittings

prkaye

Well Known Member
In the handbook, on the table for torque for AN Flared fittings, the values for Steel fittings is higher than for alum fittings (in some cases dramatically higher). Is this just because the steel can support the higher loads on the threads, or is there a reason why the steel fittings NEED a higher torque to seal reliably?

my guess would be that alu will seal at lower clamp loads and steel wont. the alu will strip just past its high spec btw.

mixed couplings

Then of course there's the mixed case... steel fitting as on the VA-134/135 hoses, going into AN822 Aluminum fittings. The handbook gives no values for this scenario, so I'm assuming one should use the aluminum value, being the smaller of the two.

AL is softer then Steel

Flared fittings seal by slightly deforming the flair to match the cone on the fitting. Aluminum takes less pressure to deform the flare against the cone then steel therefore requires less torque..

ahhh... that is a good explanation!
Still... regardin the mixed case (alum and steel fitting together), I'm not sure what value to use. On the one hand, if I use the higher value I risk stripping the threads on the alum side, but if I use the lower value it might not seal properly...
Surely this is a question almost everybody comes across...

ahhh... that is a good explanation!
Still... regardin the mixed case (alum and steel fitting together), I'm not sure what value to use. On the one hand, if I use the higher value I risk stripping the threads on the alum side, but if I use the lower value it might not seal properly...
Surely this is a question almost everybody comes across...

My guess is to use the lower value, as the aluminum fitting will comply to the steel fitting.

Checking AC43-13....

In the handbook, on the table for torque for AN Flared fittings, the values for Steel fittings is higher than for alum fittings (in some cases dramatically higher). Is this just because the steel can support the higher loads on the threads, or is there a reason why the steel fittings NEED a higher torque to seal reliably?

...and looking at Table 9-2.

The torque data for the AN-818 nut is based on the tube material, not the material that the nut is made from.

As a previous poster said, this makes sense since the steel tubing will need more force to seal the flare correctly.

It also turns Lycosaurus' guess into correct data...:)

Again, AC43-13 (aka the "bible") is a good source of info. I don't know which "handbook" you refer to.

It is my understanding that you use the low torque for aluminum TUBE, even with steel FITTINGS. I'd be afraid to use such high torque on the soft AL tube, becuase I think it would overly crush the flare.

I'm not sure what torque to use on something like the aeroquip 90 degree fitting into the fuel pump... probably high since it is steel and there is no soft tube involved.

Last edited:
Not what the FAA says...

It is my understanding that you use the high torque for aluminum TUBE, even with steel FITTINGS. I'd be afraid to use such high torque on the soft AL tube, becuase I think it would overly crush the flare.

....see post # 7 above....

Does this handbook....

...differentiate based on tubing material, or is it vague/non-commital?

If documents vary, then the FAA prefers it's own AC documents...:)

Since the AC 43-13 is on line and free, it makes it a good reference.

Link here to contents

The section in question is here at page 21.

And just to make sure we are talking about the same item being torqued, this is the AN 818 nut...

tn_AN818.JPG

Last edited:
A bad assumption...

I assume for the VA-134/135 stainless steel hoses, the flared end is SS as well...

... looking at Vans picture -

cat-med_hoses.jpg

- it's a blue anodised aluminum fitting.

However, the previous discussion was for metal flared tubing. I expect torque values to be different for the machined ends of hose fitting.

I believe they seal by having a fractional difference in angles.

However, the previous discussion was for metal flared tubing. I expect torque values to be different for the machined ends of hose fitting.

Hmmm... so is there a concensus on what the proper torque values should be for these oil/fuel hose fittings (VA-139, VA-134, VA-119, VA-118-1, VA-133, VA-102)? Seems like it would be very important to get these ones right!

Back