What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sheet Metal 101

Bob Brown

Well Known Member
OK, so my build partner and I are going round and round...I debur skins with a hand deburring tool or a rechargeable screwdriver...he prefers an air drill chucked up with a deburring tool...

I don't dig it...

What say ye?

not good but not the end of world either...

OK, so my build partner and I are going round and round...I debur skins with a hand deburring tool or a rechargeable screwdriver...he prefers an air drill chucked up with a deburring tool...

I don't dig it...

What say ye?

How do the rivets set in the holes? Is he taking material off? I generally used what you are doing myself, either by hand or with a slow rechargeable screw driver. But I wouldn't get in a fight over it. If the pressure is low in the lines and he's not putting 2 tons of force on the skins as he deburrs it won't be the end of the world if the rivets set right.

Tell him to putith down the airdrill lest he pokes ye a 1/4 hole or countersinks thy hole tooith deep!::p

No need for such aggressive work, you only need to take off the burr. Tell'em to not be so lazy!!;)

Remember, I'm "old school",

but I still use a drill bit and my fingers. Been working fine through quite a few airplanes.

bob

My take on deburring is to remove "the edge - the burr" of a drilled hole. Useing an air drill is a bit exessive at 2600 rpm!

Debur bit with my fingers. I have used a cordless screwdriver for it as well..

An airdrill seems a bit too much. Too heavy and too fast.

Take a hand lens and look at his deburred holes. They should not be countersunk. If they are, show him. He should only be taking off the metal that sticks above the surface of the skin--the bur.

IMHO, not a good technique. Using a fifty pound sledge to kill a fly. Chances are more than good that a screw up will happen. This is a case where less is better. It does not make the job faster, just louder.

... an air drill chucked up with a deburring tool...

Just curious, what is this 'deburring tool' that he is using? Is it a drill bit? A Cogsdill Burraway tool? A 3-flute deburring bit?

I use the Cogsdill Burraway and I think it does a great job...and it's fast. The pivot pin came out on my #40 the other day (only problem I've had with it) and I really buggered it up trying to fix it with some safety wire as a pin....so I had to debur both bottom skins with a drill bit and my fingers. That took a while and hurt my fingers. I'm sure I'd get used to it over time though.

-Jim

Debur bit with my fingers. I have used a cordless screwdriver for it as well..

An airdrill seems a bit too much. Too heavy and too fast.

I'm with Sid here, lay down the air drill and the carpal hand deburing tool;), try a cordless screwdriver with a deburing bit.

Back