What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Caught the bug, looking at planes

robipilot

Hi all,

I used to have an RV6...I bought it from the builder back in 2001...had it for a few years before I moved on to twins and then helicopters.

Anyway, I?ve caught the bug again and I?m looking at RV6 and 6As.

This aircraft has come up in my searches a few times, and I even spoke with the broker today.

http://www.sandiegoaircraftsales.com/aircraft/airplanes0718/n242lp/index.htm

What am I missing here? This price seems pretty darn good for 6 with decent avionics (no ADSB). I?d appreciate your thoughts/advice!

Mike

The big question mark seems to be engine time. Glass/430 excluded, RV6 like this one are regularly listed at the price point in trade a plane.

The O-320-H2AD engine will depress the price somewhat due to its reputation (whether deserved or not). You can Goggle it or search the VAF archives for background info.

I see you are in Illinois. I am headed to the AOPA convention today in Carbondale. Come down if you get a chance and we can talk RV's.

Vic

No engine time listed. Wood prop but CS prop control suggests the prop and/or motor was changed at some point. Not a deal breaker, but go into it with the assumption that original prop and possibly also motor was removed and sold or used for something else and the currently installed prop and possibly motor is whatever was cheapest that could get the plane sold.

Which is to say that the buyer may end up wanting to put on something that performs better than what was stuck on it just to get it sold.

I agree that the engine is the big unknown. The broker had little information so a scouring or the logs and a bit of risk taking may be involved.

I?m glad to hear that the price point is about right. There are a number of good planes on the market right now.

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

O-320H2AD and Sterba prop on my -4

I have an O320-H2AD and Sterba prop on my RV-4, and I absolutely love it. I built my engine myself, removed from a 172, and the Sterba, pitched for climb keeps my top end slightly low, but take-off/climb is great. There are many folks who shy away from the H2AD, which is a very well proven engine,but has little commonality to the rest of the O320 family. They are a bargain value in my opinion.

Back