Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2018, 12:03 PM

Default What do certified airplanes have...

...that Vans airplanes do not have, aside from (a) expensive FAA certification and paperwork; and (b) builder liability?

(what would the FAA object to?)
Old 01-04-2018, 12:13 PM

They are more robust. I feel I have to be very careful getting in and out of my RV and treat it with kid gloves. I'll take it for the performance improvement - but you asked...
Old 01-04-2018, 12:16 PM
been here awhile

The most substantial thing that certificated aircraft have that our Experimental Amateur-Built aircraft don't have is conformance with a known, repeatable, and FAA sanctioned Type Certificate. This means that every Cessna 172 is built to the same standard using the same construction which results in very predictable flight characteristics and maintenance requirements.

Our RVs are not built to a similar standard, every experimental aircraft is more or less a one-off custom-built aircraft constructed under uncontrolled circumstances by folks that have often never built an aircraft before that may result in unpredictable flight characteristics and maintenance requirements.

And that is the appeal of experimental aviation.

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 01-04-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:19 PM

A large A&P bill every year.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:28 PM

At a high level - certificated aircraft (those with an FAA TC or equivalent) -theoretically have FAA oversight of - the mechanics (A&P / IA / Part 145 R-S) and their experience requirements, use of approved aircraft tech data, alterations from TCDS configuration, use of approved parts, mandatory Airworthiness Directives, built to FAA approved certification requirements (CAR 3 / Part 23, etc), maintenance entries / limited life items (in some cases) and other minutia.

In theory, most everything that gets done to an FAA TC aircraft has traceability back to an FAA regulation / requirement for initial cert / continued airworthiness.

EAB - Not so much.

Does all the above buy an added level of safety / airworthiness?

Wait one while I order pizza and get a case of beer....
Old 01-04-2018, 12:30 PM

A few things that EAB builders could or may do that up the risk factor, and are not allowed on normally certified airplanes:
Choose a higher than recommended gross weight.
Fly IFR with minimum equipment (e.g., no back up to an electrical failure).
Modify the airframe so Vso is greater than 61 kias.

Iím sure there are other things.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaw4 View Post
...that Vans airplanes do not have, aside from (a) expensive FAA certification and paperwork; and (b) builder liability?

Lots of stuff. Here's a sampling.
- Documented performance data. This varies from RV to RV, if the builder even bothered to do it at all (most don't).
- Spin recovery. The side by sides don't meet the spin recovery characteristics laid out in FAR Part 23.
- Occupant Protection. Again referencing FAR Part 23, many (most?) RVs would not meet the required level of occupant protection. Think about the glareshield on many RVs, for example, and compare that to a modern certified aircraft.

There are others areas as well. While I appreciate the performance and manuverability of my RV, I recognize that there are absolutely areas where a type certificated aircraft holds a distinct advantage.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:59 PM

Just curious - why are you asking about the differences between a certified aircraft and an EAB aircraft?

Quote:
Do you mean, if the FAA were to evaluate an average RV, what would they say does not meet FAR Part 23?

Theoretically, you could take a sea container, claim it's an aircraft, and get slip of paper that says you could fly it. The fact that it won't fly is not the FAA's problem, so the range of things in experimental aviation that don't meet Part 23 is almost infinite.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:53 PM

Default Gear

In my humble opinion, certified planes have a lot more robust landing gear setup over Van's RV-3 thru RV-12 designs. Not sure how the -14 would measure up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaw4 View Post

RV-3 Sold
RV-4 Sold
C-140 In a barn
Maule MXT-7 Sold
RV-6a Sold
Twin Comanche - Sold
RV-9 IO-360 CS, Built and Flying
J3-65 Cub - low and slow stuff
Comanche 260 - poor mans RV-10
Old 01-04-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
In my humble opinion, certified planes have a lot more robust landing gear setup over Van's RV-3 thru RV-12 designs. Not sure how the -14 would measure up.
The gear sure seems up to the task but not sure if it would absorb hard landing damage or just transmit it up to the airframe ... Van's has some drop testing videos, looks robust!!!

Best way to tell .. put one in rotation at a flight school
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Progress: Away for PAINT