What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leather, Pleather, or Fabric?

ssokol

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I've decided to invest in a set of Aviator seats from Aero Classic Designs for my RV-6A. The airplane color scheme is black / red. I've decided to go with Aero Classic's Raven (black) color, but I'm still debating between leather, synthetic leather, and cloth.

Given that we step on the seats getting in / out, I would expect leather to hold up better. But it tends to be hotter in the summer and colder in the winter. (And that may be a bit more of an issue with black seats.)

Anyone have experience or strong opinions?

Leather

I have a 6A and put leather seats in it in 2004 and they are still in great shape. I would be a bit cautious of black leather though. The canopy is like a greenhouse and black seats will get very hot. If you are going with black you may want to go with cloth.

Ask Classic Aero to send you the seat fabric sample/color swatches. I chose the leather after examining the samples as it was thicker and more wear tolerant, although heavier than the "pleather".

My Cleaveland fabric seats have held up very well for 16 years. Fabric has the advantage of not frying your legs in hot conditions. I'll be putting fabric seats in the RV-10.

Strong opinions? You betcha! I prefer sheepskin to any of those. For comfort, it's the best. Have to admit that I don't know its durability for being stepped on.

Dave

Do you keep your airplane in a hanger? Do you have a canopy cover? Go with the black leather!

Do you keep your airplane in a hanger? Do you have a canopy cover? Go with the black leather!

Yep - enclosed hangar and a Koger sun shade. Spent quite a bit of time researching various schemes and interiors. Fell in love with the sports car look of Matt Dralle's RV-6:

FP26112012A00051.jpg

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...&project=2043&category=7265&log=159687&row=24

Admittedly, Livermore CA is a good bit cooler than Liberty, MO but it looks so good!

I went with Ultraleather, which is more durable and lighter weight than leather (and less expensive). You can order free samples online. Abby at Flightline ordered it and did the upholstery. It is holding up very well. Very comfortable.

IMG_6261-M.jpg

Back