What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Static port correction, TAS

Dreamin9

Not sure if this subject belongs here, feel free to move.

On my new to me with recently upgraded Dynon glass 9A, I've been unhappy with the TAS shown on the Dynon. I started a thread on the propellers thread thinking a new prop or re-pitch might be the answer.

Jesse Saint suggested I use the 4 compass point TAS test and compare to Dynon reported speeds before spend $$. In fact it turns out, at various altitudes, the plane was 7-9 kts faster than Dynon reported!!

Did a lot of reading on VA about adjusting the Dynon or Static sys, some suggestions included new ports, tape in front of static holes, reaming the Pitot hole, etc.

Jesse suggested attaching a PopRivet head to each static port with CA glue. A test flight at 5500 yesterday showed Dynon calculated TAS to be right on after adding rivets!! I suspect it will be very close at other altitudes too.
Picture of complex install attached:

25tkarm.jpg

Last edited:
I just had a similar effect with a flush mounted old static port fitting (Avery?). It started off like yours but a tighter, more flush fit.

I drilled it out 3/16 to about 1/8 depth and bonded in a cut down AN6 standard rivet with a 1/16 hole drilled through it.

This caused the error to shift to make ASI optimistic, so the rivet head was sanded down in stages until the errors dropped to less than 1 kt at a couple of test speeds.

The final result was a "bump" about 0.050 above the surface, about the same as the pop rivet. :) I prefer the bonding into the old flush port over CA though.

Last edited:
I got the word on this issue from the Canadian Dan Horton in (I think) 1994. Pretty sure it was on the Matronics RV-list.

Thanks, Dan.

Charlie

Good for you! Doing research, performing testing (data), getting to a solution using expert advice, you homed in on the test procedure and solution quite quickly!!

Back