What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B validation flight

Sam Buchanan

been here awhile
Am interested in how VAFers have conducted their ADS-B validation flight for the FAA rebate. I've seen reference to AC 20-165B but am wondering if that protocol must be strictly followed.

Feedback from pilots who have successfully received a Public ADS-B Performance Report is appreciated. I will be flying in the KHSV airspace.

Last edited:
Go fly for 45 mins

Sam, I have done several ADSB validation flights in my 8 and the 9A. Pretty simple, go fly around the HSV area for about 45 mins and then send an e-mail to the FAA's ADSB validation / compliance address (its posted on this site somewhere) and in about a day you get a report back showing whether or not you are 100% 91.227 compliant. Note - there is very good ADSB coverage on the west side of HSV since there is a station at 9A4, but as you fly northeast up by BGF, there are several ADSB dead areas below 2500 feet. My typical ADSB flight is from M38 to 9A4 and back, has worked every time. I get good ADSB reception on the ground at M38 with my Dynon integrated system, buts its dead on the ground at 3M5 or BGF.

ADS-B flight test

Did mine under Orlando's Class B in the area of Lake Apopa. Did two 30 degree bank circles around a point in each direction, two climb/descents to/from 3000-5000, two 90 degree criss-cross over a point. Passed 100%.

Remember you're supposed to do this in "rule" airspace. I did mine inside the SFO 30 nm veil, and above 10,000' outside the veil. Remember to NOT let it coast down the runway (unless you have a mechanical squat switch) on landing. Brake moderately hard to a complete stop, then slowly taxi off the runway.

Sam, I have done several ADSB validation flights in my 8 and the 9A. Pretty simple, go fly around the HSV area for about 45 mins and then send an e-mail to the FAA's ADSB validation / compliance address (its posted on this site somewhere) and in about a day you get a report back showing whether or not you are 100% 91.227 compliant. Note - there is very good ADSB coverage on the west side of HSV since there is a station at 9A4, but as you fly northeast up by BGF, there are several ADSB dead areas below 2500 feet. My typical ADSB flight is from M38 to 9A4 and back, has worked every time. I get good ADSB reception on the ground at M38 with my Dynon integrated system, buts its dead on the ground at 3M5 or BGF.

So it isn't necessary to fly all the fancy maneuvers detailed in AC 20-165B? Just fly around in the airspace for 45 minutes?

Glad to find out about the tower at 9A4, been wondering where our local towers are located. I "see" three towers at pattern altitude at KDCU. Thanks for the feedback!

I have done several flights and did the maneuvers, but I know a guy who just flew into an airport inside the Mode C veil and when he sent for a report, it first said he failed, but then he got an email from someone at the FAA saying they manually checked his flight and it was good enough. In rule airspace for less than 30 minutes.

Last I saw there were only about 6,000 rebates claimed. Does anybody have a current number?

Great Info on this thread.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=146914&page=2

I followed Chris Pratts suggestions and it worked like a charm. Made a reservation a week in advance for the rebate. Used the link on the email received as a result of the reservation to request a flight report during normal business hours and received an answer within 20 mins with rebate Incentive Code. Used a Garmin 345 Transponder with the internal GPS. Good Luck.

ADS-B vaiidatiin flight.

Living in Western Oregon; Portland was the only airspace that met the requirements. 100 mile flight to get into KPDX airspace.
So,
I Climbed to 11.5 over my local airport and flew for 38 minutes; crossed over my airport from N to S then descended to 10.5 and crossed over E to W.
Passed with 100% score.
Check from FAA is on the way.
Appareo Stratus ESGi ADS-B Out/In using ForeFlight.

I took off and landed under a class B veil, but slightly exited the rule airspace during the middle my flight. Same thing Jesse said happened to me - they said they would review it, which they promptly did in a day or so, and I passed.

So it isn't necessary to fly all the fancy maneuvers detailed in AC 20-165B? Just fly around in the airspace for 45 minutes?

Glad to find out about the tower at 9A4, been wondering where our local towers are located. I "see" three towers at pattern altitude at KDCU. Thanks for the feedback!

I didn't do any fancy maneuvers, but did do a couple of 360's and some 90* turns. I think they are looking to validate position changes and want something more variable than straight and level. I also called up Chicago approach to ask if they were seeing an ADS-b signal from me. That was an interesting conversation. It took three different guys to figure it out :)

FAA $500 Poorer

An update to this thread:

I installed the Stratus ESG in my RV-6, the install went well and consisted of considerably less wiring than required for my old Garmin GTX320 gray-code transponder. The included WAAS GPS antenna resides on a bracket clamped to the engine mount and seems to work nicely under the cowl.

The rebate process requests a maneuvering validation flight inside "rule airspace". The closest airspace to me is HSV Class C but I really didn't want to bug the controllers as I cut figures in their airspace. Instead, I made the following flight outside Class C:

ADS-B_flight.jpg

It may be obvious what I wanted to achieve with this flight....

Within minutes of requesting the online performance report, it was produced showing perfect transponder performance but waving a red flag because the flight was outside rule airspace. But the email stated not to repeat the flight because it would be reviewed manually. In a few days I recieved an email with the go-ahead to apply for the $500 rebate, and the check arrived ten days later. N399SB is now 2020 compliant.

I like the Stratus ESG and am using a Stratux for ADS-B in service. The ESG ended up costing $1650 after deducting the rebate, and the cost will go down further if a buyer for the GTX320 is found. Life is good. :)

Last edited:
Back