What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hartzell Composite

stancaruthers

Well Known Member
Just ordered 2 blade Hartzell Composite 74" for the ~8 IO-360 Parallel Valve
Can anyone provide experienced feedback?

Besides looking really great, it's very smooth, pulls like a freight train when adding power and stops on a dime. Great for formation.

Can you tell I love mine?

I sure hope not, because that was my first hurdle was the oil temp right after buying this SMILE MAKER:D
New baffling
New larger dual pass cooler
More clearance between #4 cyl and cooler
Please don't tell me I will go through that again.

With the 72" blended, I could hold tail up over my head and still had 10" clearance, I don't feel adding 1" will hurt me.

With the 72" blended, I could hold tail up over my head and still had 10" clearance, I don't feel adding 1" will hurt me.

You won't have any ground clearance problems with a 74" prop. My friend's RV-8 with metal 74" Hartzell has tons of ground clearance. If you ever get nosed over that far on the ground, you've then got much bigger problems on your hand than just a prop strike!

Hey Stan - the prop will "pull" better than the BA. I have a data sheet showing 100 lbs more thrust. 800 std.

What cowl do you have on that 8? If it is the Vans cowl, you should be fine, but check it. I assume you did not get the extended hub?

The standard Vans cowl needs the G hub and the Sam James needs an extension I believe.

I'm still green at this stuff, I don't Sam Hill about Sam or who Sam was, but my plane kit was purchased in 2007 and first flown 2010 and the prop I ordered is from Van's
G2YR/N7605W-2X 74" Extended Hub composite 2 blade.....Requires D-4798-P Hartzell Polished Spinner

If I screwed up please yell loud NOW.

So Jerry & Neil are both correct, I just received the Paul Harvey story version from Hartzell just now, very helpful folks....

The composite comes with the "G" style hub and is 1" extended for blade clearance at high pitch which will create an ugly gap between spinner and cowl face, they are telling me to space the spinner back plate the same 1" to move spinner back to where I'm happy.

Does anyone see an issue here??

Spinner

Don't see how the spinner could come back as it is cut out close to blades?
You may have to cut some foam and glass in front of cowl behind spinner an inch.Im doing that now as my hub is an inch longer than my last or you could add an inch to the back edge no fun either way.
Bob

When we got our first ASC props we had several issues with the blade/cowling clearance at full course pitch. Initially, we limited the degree change of the blades, but that produced overspeeding of the engine at higher TAS. I believe initially they were at 35 degrees and then were changed to 28 degrees of pitch.

Hartzell changed us from B hubs to G hubs, which moved the blades about 1 inch further away from the engine. Using their spinner it was just a bolt on swap. The 'gap' was adjusted with washers between the hub and the backing plate. Very little change and was easily measured before installing the prop.

What a great prop and a great company supporting it.

When we got our first ASC props we had several issues with the blade/cowling clearance at full course pitch. Initially, we limited the degree change of the blades, but that produced overspeeding of the engine at higher TAS. I believe initially they were at 35 degrees and then were changed to 28 degrees of pitch.

Hartzell changed us from B hubs to G hubs, which moved the blades about 1 inch further away from the engine. Using their spinner it was just a bolt on swap. The 'gap' was adjusted with washers between the hub and the backing plate. Very little change and was easily measured before installing the prop.

What a great prop and a great company supporting it.

Did they attach any "G" limits to the G hub? Or is it the same as the B?

A couple of unanswered questions

I am considering the Hartzell composite prop for our RV-7A project well underway. I'm familiar with the prop as we had it on our DA-40 XLS. I'm just trying to justify the cost. I know it's a superior prop in many ways.

The project has a Titan O-360 (soon to be IO) and I have a cold air sump to install which will also require horizontal induction. My understanding is the standard Van's cowl will not work, but the extended Sam James should.

Does anyone know what will be required (like a prop spacer) and/or the SJ cowl for this setup?

Thanks in advance.

I am considering the Hartzell composite prop for our RV-7A project well underway. I'm familiar with the prop as we had it on our DA-40 XLS. I'm just trying to justify the cost. I know it's a superior prop in many ways.

The project has a Titan O-360 (soon to be IO) and I have a cold air sump to install which will also require horizontal induction. My understanding is the standard Van's cowl will not work, but the extended Sam James should.

Does anyone know what will be required (like a prop spacer) and/or the SJ cowl for this setup?

Thanks in advance.

Did you read this thread??????????

The standard Vans cowl WILL work!!!!!!!!!!!

It will work just fine! No spacer!

Yes I did

Understood.

Will the standard Vans cowl work with the Hartzell prop AND a cold air sump with horizontal induction?

Cowl/Spinner Clearance Opinion ??

Mounted prop last night, I have 3/4" between spinner and cowl....would like much less. I guess I could buy longer spinner hub mounting bolts and space it back toward cowl ??
Maybe just leave it alone for the moment and fly ?

My other prop/spinner was 3/8"

Will this space be an issue other than cosmetics ?

Pictures please!

Could you post some pictures? As someone considering this prop for our RV-7A I would like to understand all of the implications of the installation. It sounds like you have the standard Van's cowl. Can you tell me what injection system you use and whether it's vertical or horizontal induction? Despite having read this entire thread, there are some details not apparent. Thanks.

Posting pictures on this website is ridiculous, I have....
Horizontal induction
Vans cowl
New Spinner that Vans said I needed @ $1295

If you will email or text me, I will be glad to send pics
[email protected]
940-255-7795

Mounted prop last night, I have 3/4" between spinner and cowl....would like much less. I guess I could buy longer spinner hub mounting bolts and space it back toward cowl ??
Maybe just leave it alone for the moment and fly ?

My other prop/spinner was 3/8"

Will this space be an issue other than cosmetics ?

If the gap is spinner backplate to cowl, thats good. You can shim the backplate with washers and spacers. Hartzell has thicker alum. spacers for setting the gap. Sometime you need longer bolts which they also have for you. A bigger gap is an easy problem to adjust.

Yes, that's the only issue. I will order bolts and spacers today, I'm planning for the gap to be 3/8"
Currently I have only 4 threads past lock nut with 3/4" gap, I need bolts about 7/16-1/2 longer.
Can't stop drooling over the new look :D it's like a whole new time machine now.

I have the Hartzell composite propeller (PROP G2YR/N7605W-2X) on my RV8 with YIO-360-M1B. The prop is very smooth- no dynamic balance has been done. Solo (165 lb pilot), any fuel, I'm right at the forward cg limit (1100 lb empty). 100 total hours prop/airframe/engine. The prop cord is 50% wider than the aluminum Hartzell, so there will be a engine out glide ratio reduction is the only downside (outside the price).

Last edited:
Back