What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tooooo many OOPS rivets?

thoma015

Well Known Member
Back when I first started my emp kit I was not the best at getting consistent rivets. After finishing the VS I took it to my local tech counselor who said the skin would need to be drilled out and redone. They were either way over driven or under driven. I put it on the back shelf until i finished the rest of the emp kit. I finally got around to drilling out all rivets that attach the skin to the VS. Im starting to put it back together and most of the 3-3.5 or -4 rivets are not filling the hole so i started putting in oops rivets. Im just about finished with one side and its 80-90% oops rivets.

Can there be too many oops rivets in a part, or could i technically build the entire VS with oops rivets?

thanks,

Hawk

There are limits on oversize "oops rivets", The MIL-SPEC I found says no more than two adjacent, and no more than 20% overall.

It may be much more gratifying, and not that much $ to just rebuild from new parts.

Chris

You may want to investigate your rivet drilling technique also. For a 3/32 rivet, drill out the rivet core as accurately as possible with an undersized drill (normally a #43) then using the non cutting end of the same sized drill, stick it in the hole slightly and snap the factory head off. Once this is done, if you have access you can either pull the buck tail with a pair of fine nose pliers, or work it through from the factory side tapping it lightlyor working it by hand, with a punch larger than the drill you used, but smaller than the hole size. There are other methods also, but this is one that should help reduce the need for oops rivets.
Tom.

There are limits on oversize "oops rivets", The MIL-SPEC I found says no more than two adjacent, and no more than 20% overall.
It may be much more gratifying, and not that much $ to just rebuild from new parts.
Chris

Another option is to go to 1/8" rivets entirely.

You may want to investigate your rivet drilling technique also. For a 3/32 rivet, drill out the rivet core as accurately as possible with an undersized drill (normally a #43) then using the non cutting end of the same sized drill, stick it in the hole slightly and snap the factory head off. Once this is done, if you have access you can either pull the buck tail with a pair of fine nose pliers, or work it through from the factory side tapping it lightlyor working it by hand, with a punch larger than the drill you used, but smaller than the hole size. There are other methods also, but this is one that should help reduce the need for oops rivets.
Tom.

Yes, i have since changed my technique.

Back