What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 with Hartzell

sf3543

Well Known Member
Anyone flying the 3 with a Hartzell?
I was looking at MT and Whirlwind CS props but I'm not happy with their TBO times and in some cases issues and support reported by some owners.
So, now I'm leaning toward Hartzell but I'm concerned about up front weight and would like a report or two from someone flying a 3 behind one.
Thanks
Steve

I know of one in California, but the owner's name escapes me....Mike S. Knows!

CG is pretty far forward as I recall. I talked with Craig Catto at OSH, and he s getting in to the C/S prop scene. Told me he plans one for the 320's.....don't know his timeframe though.

1984 RV-3A S/N 881 N66GB

In 1984 RV-3A S/N 881 N66GB was originally built in Bakersfield CA with with a Lycon 360 parallel valve engine and a Hartzell Constant Speed prop. It has had several owners and at one time was the fastest RV flying based on Sun-N-Fun 100 race results.

The Lycoming 360 only weighs 10 pounds more than the Lycoming 320 based on TCDS published by the FAA.

If it were me I'd stay away form anything that moves the CG forward on an RV3.

MY -3 had a fwd cg condition simply because the large Concord battery was between the rudder pedals. It flew so much better on the few occasions I had the baggage hold stuffed full of camping gear. Looking back, that is the one thing I would have fixed. I would have relocating the battery. Well...that and the slightly heavy right wing.:) There's nothing like a well balanced airplane, especially a sporty one like an RV3.

Thanks for the comments so far.
I am now leaning toward changing to the MT prop, or maybe even a Sensenich GA, but I just love the takeoff power of the CS prop. So, I think it will be the MT, 2 blade prop, to save some weight.
That being said, what would be the perfect CG for the RV3, based on your experiences?
I have been doing some W&B calculations, based on data from previous RV3 builds available on the web, plus using data from my build, and it looks like I can expect a CG of about 61.12" to 61.32" (28-30%), depending on fuel quantity and pilot weight, which is well within the envelope.
I don't have the experience with the RV3 to tell if this would be really nose heavy or not, but I'm assuming it would be OK.
Any comments from you guys on the CG location that is comfortable for the -3?
Thanks
Steve

Steve,

The RV-3 was designed to be a light weight, super fun airplane.

To me, the ideal combination would be 150/160 hp O-320 with Catto 3-blade prop.

You really do not need a C/S prop on the RV-3! It will jump off the ground with any prop.

You really do not need a C/S prop on the RV-3! It will jump off the ground with any prop.

True Mel, you don't need one - but once you've flown a -3 with a light C/S prop, you'll have a tough time going back to F/P!

Paul

It depends on your circumstances

What Mel said is correct. My buddy Perry testory has 160hp/3blade and I fly right with him with 150hp catto 2 blade (762lb EW). Craig told me to go with 2 blade cruise cause a -3 is overpowered anyway for takeoff and climb

That said, Paul is an example of different circumstances. High elevation DA and hot desrt heat can make significant difference in your preferences.

Last edited:
Unless you are gonna keep the plane till you die you should consider what the option you select does to sale value.

I think that the buying trade-offs probably slightly favor the fixed-pitch. I wouldn't buy the more expensive and heavier prop for that consideration. I'll be installing a CS prop for performance reasons, specifically takeoff and climb.

My home airport has an elevation of 5,050 feet and the density altitude there is often in excess of 8,000 feet. If I lived near sea level I'd probably install a fixed pitch one.

Dave
RV-3B building a fuselage now

>Any comments from you guys on the CG location that is comfortable for the -3?

If I had it to do over again I would set it up so I am typically operating closer to the middle of the range. My -3 was built for a larger guy with longer legs and I am a small guy with shorter legs so my flying position was always more forward and I'm 150lbs. Unless I has carrying a ton of baggage I was always operating in the forward third of the range.

I had a 12lb FP Performance Prop - one of the laminated maple ones made by Clark Lydick. That thing was the bomb and gave great all-around performance. Looked great too. Oh, and did I mention inexpensive. And, aside from re-torqueing maintenance free.:)

Steve,

I have a 3 that I bought in Sept. 2012. It was a basic carb fixed pitch 3. As I recall she would climb out 1700 fpm at 2400. Fun to fly but hard to slow down, a tad nose heavy as to require slight back pressure with full flaps and full trim while on final.

Mid 2013 came injection, high pressure pumps, MT MTV-11, heat, fresh air.

She is now a different airplane, climb out 2300 fpm at 2700 rpm, or pull the power and you are shifted forward as the brake engages. I did move the battery behind the seat and she now flight final hands off at 9in, full flaps, full trim, 85 mph, 500 fpm descent.

She did gain a little weight however, she is now 860 lbs. and I am 220 with a chute.

I am happy with this set-up, great for acro and formation.

N66GB still flying

In 1984 RV-3A S/N 881 N66GB was originally built in Bakersfield CA with with a Lycon 360 parallel valve engine and a Hartzell Constant Speed prop. It has had several owners and at one time was the fastest RV flying based on Sun-N-Fun 100 race results.

The Lycoming 360 only weighs 10 pounds more than the Lycoming 320 based on TCDS published by the FAA.

I am the current owner of N66GB, and she is still flying. Currently with 160HP IO-320 and FP Sensinich. She had motor mount damage when I bought her, replaced the mount and gear legs and reworked all the fiberglass to fit. The 360 is a lot of weight up front...and stresses the gear attach points more. She now has the redesigned mount, but you still need to take care with landings as it is a known stress point.
I am waiting on a new Catto 2-blade race prop for it, I flew it a couple weeks ago at 7,000 ft DA and achieved 230mph over the ground with a Catto test prop. Personally, I think a pumped 320 or an IO-340 is the way to go if I was to change the engine. It is less weight, and with the right build you can get 200HP at around 3,000 rpm.
Weight is everything in an RV-3. Lighter flys better. I am shedding weight wherever I can in preparation for a new W/B on arrival of the new prop. Last weigh was 846 lbs so she is no light-weight, but I hope to get it down closer to #800 in the next phase.

Safe flying, and have fun.
Dave
N66GB
Palo Alto, CA

Hartzell

I fly the one Paul is talking about, check your PM'S

Anyone flying the 3 with a Hartzell?
I was looking at MT and Whirlwind CS props but I'm not happy with their TBO times and in some cases issues and support reported by some owners.
So, now I'm leaning toward Hartzell but I'm concerned about up front weight and would like a report or two from someone flying a 3 behind one.
Thanks
Steve

Back