What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bahamas Weekender in the Abacos

roadrunner20

Well Known Member
My wife & I headed out on a weekend trip to Treasure Cay Bahamas.
It was my 64th birthday & we wanted to do something different.
Funny, on Saturday night at Cocos on the beach, the DJ played the Beatles song.
"When I'm 64" I thought she requested it but she said she didn't.
First view of the Abacos
AbacosFirstView.jpg

Getting Closer
AbacosGettingCloser.jpg

Approach into Treasure Cay, MYAT
TreasureCayApproach.png

Last edited:
Here's the beach.
TreasueCayBeach2.jpg

Had the beach almost to ourselves.
TreasureCayBeachNann.png

Our bungalow. They have a private pliot special, 20% off rooms & another $150 off with a 2 day stay.
TreasureCayResort.jpg

Last edited:
Here's me soaking it all in the crystal clear water.
Looks surreal.
DanSoakingAtTreasureCayBeach.jpg

Since Treasure Cay does not have fuel, I made a fuel run to Marsh Harbour, MYAM.
Here's a picture of Treasure Cay Beach on my way to pick up Nann at MYAT getting all our bags packed.

TreasureCayBeachOverflight.png

Here's a picture of the Marsh Harbour Approach.
They added a new runway since my last visit & the old runway became the taxiway.
MarshHarbourApproach.png

Pound those rivets you all.
This was just a 2 hour flight from Clearwater Florida to a different beautiful world.

Last edited:
Nice trip Dan!

Flew over in a 172 30 years ago, need to get back in the RV. Where did you stay?

Thanks Dan! Brings back good memories of Nov 2011 when Ted towed me to the Bahamas on my first international trip. We stayed at the same bungalow and walked the same beach :D

Thanks Dan! Brings back good memories of Nov 2011 when Ted towed me to the Bahamas on my first international trip. We stayed at the same bungalow and walked the same beach :D

Thanks Vlad.
I'm going to find a place you've never been.
I know, good luck with that. You've been everywhere. :)

Nice trip

Bahamas is my fav destination in the rv. Just feels like your so far from the real world. People and out islands and beaches are just amazing.

For those that have not gone, you have to go. Its just that great. Pretty much all the resorts on the many islands either offer the $300 fuel rebate or give a pretty great discount to pilots. Cant wait till next years trip.

Nice!

Nice post Dan....I feel relaxed and refreshed just reading the post and looking at the great pictures:)

I spent my 17th Anniversary in Treasure Cay. It's a great place with incredible beaches and water and very quiet and down-to-earth.

Just curious. All you guys flying there solo, are you taking PLB's with you? Renting life vests, or already have your own?:cool:

Water

Our group always pairs up for the water crossing. Out of lauderdale or ft pierce you climb to 10k and see west end in no time. Really not an issue. Crossing lake michigan on the way to oshkosh is the SAME distance across water and mucho colder, no kidding almost exactly to the mile.

We put on life jackets and have a spot tracker in most birds. A few of the cessna guys do rent the life rafts. My thoughts are that one it wont fit, two it aint getting out of the tip up and three....the other planes will know i am in trouble and help isnt too far away between boats etc. I will be busy concentrating on a gentle set down and ensuring canopy is open.

The first time you cross and get the nervousness done, you will not worry about it again. When flying around all the islands (most have no idea how many islands there are) we usually fly over the chains just to keep it as safe as possible but it is a dangerous hobby, mitigate risks as best you can but LIVE life and love the islands. It is just the best place ever!

Just curious. All you guys flying there solo, are you taking PLB's with you? Renting life vests, or already have your own?:cool:

We have a PLB & CO2 inflatable life jackets we wear.
We fly at 7500 outbound, but you see West End, grand Bahamas in about 15-20 minutes. We also spot cruise ships in the event we ever have to ditch, we'd aim for them. We hit the florida east coast after flying about 45 minutes & have comfort knowing all systems go.

Last edited:
We have a PLB & CO2 inflatable life jackets we wear.
We fly at 7500 outbound, but you see West End, grand Bahamas in about 15-20 minutes. We also spot cruise ships in the event we ever have to ditch, we'd aim for them. We hit the florida east coast after flying about 45 minutes & have comfort knowing all systems go.

Dan, Do you own the life vests, or are you renting them. I ask, because I heard you could rent them out of Ft. Pierce, just before you would leave the coast. But I don't know if my info is true or not.

Dan, Do you own the life vests, or are you renting them. I ask, because I heard you could rent them out of Ft. Pierce, just before you would leave the coast. But I don't know if my info is true or not.

I purchased mine from a marine & boat store a few years back.
Mine are like suspenders & stored in a fanny pack pouch and are coast guard approved.
Similar to this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Autom..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=P2HW7RD01V93APG3V2M5
Prices range from about $75-125

I have a raft and plenty of vests here that I would be happy to loan out for someone going to the islands. X35

I have a raft and plenty of vests here that I would be happy to loan out for someone going to the islands. X35

Jesse, You the man.:) X 35 would be right on the way heading down to the jumpoff point, which I believe "is" Ft Pierce. This would be in September.

(BTW, that was me who came down to visit you a week ago---they said you had just left to ferry a plane to I think it was NY?)

It was either MA, ME or MN, depending on which day. Sorry I missed you. You can jump out from just about anywhere, but stopping in or near Ft Pierce is good to top off the tanks, especially if going to Treasure Cay.

Back